How to inspect 4 in CI plumbing in a slab?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I have a 1968 house with cast iron plumbing. Occasionally, I get a clog at the junction of a bathroom and the washer area. I recently redid the bathroom and currently have the toilet off, giving me access to the waste pipe. The clog problems started when we switched from an old-style toilet to a water saving one (1.2 gpf). It could be as simple as increasing the water flow or flushing twice for no. 2 to push the waste farther down the line.

However....
I need to inspect the pipe to verify what could be causing the clog. I assume that the inside diameter of the walls has grown smaller through buildup or that the slope is not strong enough. There is also the possibility of a broken pipe even though that seems unlikely at this point.

Do you have any good ideas for an affordable drain camera for the motivated DIY? I've seen people build their own with a drain snake and a watertight mini camera. My local tool rental place (Home Depot) has nothing of that sort. The next Home Depot that does is more than an hour away. Given the drive and the price I'd pay for the rental, purchasing something becomes an option for me.

If my pipes need being scraped (if there's a possible bottleneck), I assume there's no way around a professional tool.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With low flow you need to flush each time otherwise salt crystals become a problem from urine. I use Bio-Clean on my system to keep the pipes clear.

BIO-CLEAN changes the waste particles into water, carbon dioxide and mineral ash which run harmlessly out of your waste system. These elements are then available for plant life.

If you are snaking a main drain, it's something for an expert. I don't own equipment like that, as I personally prefer to hire that work out.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A rodding machine with the appropriately sized head would be a good place to start in making sure the lines are clear before any other assumptions are made. If there is standing water anywhere in the pipe, a camera is not going to show you much.

Reaction score
Hi Terry and cacher chick. Thanks for your replies. I am going to look into the bio clean. I am trying to minimize chemicals on my old cast iron pipe but I'll check this product out.

And yes, a rodding machine is what I was thinking of. Before I hire this work out, though, I'd like to do an inspection myself and get an idea. I don't believe there is standing water in the pipes from what I can see. Also, the vertical runs/elbows / vent pipes etc. that I've had access to look to be in good shape. But I want to make sure this is true for the invisible portion as well. Hence the idea with the camera.

Is there any affordable drain camera that you have used and that gives a solid image? I don't mind spending some money but, of course, do not want to buy expensive commercial equipment.

Reaction score
Got an update. The clog happened again and I invested in a good motorized auger which help me clear it quickly.
I then purchased a cheap endoscope camera and attached it to the auger in order to inspect the pipes. It worked surprisingly well.
What I found was that the 50 year old 4 in CI is generally in good shape: No root intrusions, not much build-up at all.
However, about seven feet away from the bathroom, the CI has a short run with pooling water in it, maybe 1/4 in of water or so. I assume this negative pitch might have resulted from settling or has been there since it was installed. Hard to say. But this seems to explain why it clogs up over time. I guess there is no magic cure for that but I am glad that overall the pipes are in decent shape given their age. I cannot completely exclude it but from what I could see, I don't think that the pipe bottoms have corroded through.
When the toilet is in use, it usually clogs up the line every couple of months or so. Other than that, there is only a washer, a sink and a shower feeding into the drain. Given the invasive nature of replacing slab plumbing, I want to hold off on doing that because of the generally still acceptable state of the pipes and financial reasons.

Here are my ideas:
1. Continue using Bio Clean (even though it's not as effective on toilet paper)
2. Use a bidet attachment to minimize toilet paper use
3. Use Scott 1000 when toilet paper needs to be used
(4. Eventually replace line down the road when money becomes available)

PS: I performed some testing with the Bio Clean. It certain works well on food remnants but doesn't outright eat up toilet paper. It seems to facilitate TP breakup, though. I can see CO2 bubbles forming in my test jar.

ANY OTHER TIPS OR ADVICE?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks