How to find a good local plumber ??

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by kstuart, Aug 2, 2010.

1. kstuart

kstuart New Member

Does anyone have any method for finding a good local plumber ?

(Finding out that a randomly chosen plumber is incompetent, can be very painful in an emergency.)

Thanks !
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Ask Family, Friends, Co-Workers, and Neighbors....
    You may even say where you are located here and find one of the regulars here is in your area or, knows someone in your area.
    Then check the credentials on your states website to verify that the license is in order.
    Most states do have an on-line license check...

You might try him on something before and emergency...

After that see what you think of him...
    When you find a good one stick with him and recommend him to others...
  3. nhmaster3015

nhmaster3015 Master Plumber

Stand on the curb and wave 100 dollar bills in the air :)

It's tough because plumbers run the gamut from hacks to real professionals. Cost always seems to be an issue but remember that you get what you pay for. References from friends and family are a good place to start as is the BBB but I would not rely solely on them. Get estimates and ask questions.
  4. kstuart

kstuart New Member

Well, I was looking for something applicable anywhere... but I am looking for someone in what locals call the "Central Coast" of California.
  5. Cookie

Cookie .

Join Angie's List.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If you used Angie's List, you MIGHT find me, but otherwise the Yellow pages is your only way to find me, other than referrals from friends.
  7. Bassman

Bassman DIY Member

What town are you in?
  8. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I have an A rating with Angies, and A+ with BBBonline.
    However Angies requires contractors to pay them to sort out near the top. So in the end, it's just like the yellow pages.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  9. Cookie

Cookie .

I have found those who advertise in the yellow pages are usually much higher in cost. Not just plumbers but in most professions. So, I usually, won't use it.
  10. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Those are usually the ones who have full page ads. But I never check to see how my prices compare with other plumbers, and would not change anything even I did. Do you find your contractors in the "home services" section of the newspaper ads?
  11. nhmaster3015

nhmaster3015 Master Plumber

Wanna start a fight with my wife? Start talking about Yellow Pages. " All that money down the drain.... yadda yadda yadda............
  12. Cookie

Cookie .

I did enough of checking on different professions to know, and in answer to your question, nope.