How to best ballpark price for a new basement bathroom?

Users who are viewing this thread

toozie21

Reaction score
I am getting ready to investigate putting a bathroom into my basement and am trying to figure out how to ballpark pricing for it before I start the process. I am hoping to hire someone who I can assist, if there are things they could use assistance with or can pawn off on me to save time/money (I don't mind doing the work, I just don't know how to do it).

I have no rough in in place, and will need to break up concrete to install an injector to get up to my exit level for my septic. I don't want anything fancy, just a small bathroom for guests to use occasionally with a simple shower. I am thinking roughly 4x8, or somewhere in that range (whatever works).

I have a rancher, and the bathroom will be going on the unfinished side of the basement, so I have pretty good access to everything (electrical, ceiling, attic, etc).

I would guess this would be a roughly $5k - $7k job, but I could be WAY underestimating the task at hand.

Does anyone have a good rule-of-thumb, or thoughts on this?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "rule of thumb" for what you want to do is to call a plumber and get a "local" price for it. My price, for this area, could be vastly different from what plumbers are charging in your area.

toozie21

Reaction score
Thanks hj. That is probably the best answer, I was just hoping (not really knowing), if there was a rule-of-thumb or a ballpark to work off of.

This would probably more than just a plumber job though, right? Or are there some who can handle the whole package?

Also, is Angie's List the best way to go from something like this?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm thinking 15K to 20K when you're done.
Demo, framing, plumbing, electrical, drywall, fixtures, and flooring. There's a lot of stuff going on.
And the bathroom should be more like 8x5
The sewage ejector needs a 2" vent through the roof.
Adding a bath on slab from scratch is a big project. Most of the time, being helped by someone that doesn't know what to do only slows you down. Everytime I've had a new helper, the job takes longer while I slow down to teach them. They have never made the job go quicker.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think Terry is pretty close in his estimate. The plumbing alone will run 7 to 10

toozie21

Reaction score
OK, thanks. That is why I wanted to run it past you guys first, just so I didn't go in with a low (or overly high and get ripped off), idea in mind. I wanted to get a better ballpark. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you want to do heavy DIY, you could get the jackhammer, open the floor, and pour the concrete when done.

Do you get seepage in your basement sometimes? You can work a sump and pump and collection pipe into your plans.

I am not a pro. I have not put in a bathroom. I have put in a sump with pump.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Read the reviews for Angie's list and most likely you will give her rip off site a pass. It's another typical web based money grubbing scam.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Angie’s List promoted itself by noting, “Businesses don’t pay,” a claim it appears to have since taken off the site.

Is Angie's List honest?
They say that it's subscriber based so that you get honest results.

But businesses do pay — and quite a bit. For the first nine months of 2013, businesses provided a whopping 73 percent of the company’s revenue, or about $129.3 million. Subscriber fees, at $47.6 million, comprised the remaining 27 percent of sales.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-angies-list-is-getting-a-rash-of-bad-reviews/

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks