How should I Plumb this utility sink to code

Users who are viewing this thread

Ryan71184

Reaction score
image.jpgimage.jpg

What's the easiest way to plumb the drain for this. I'll be using a liberty pumps model 404 to pump the waste up to the drain line. Not sure how I should vent this. Pictured is the current setup I bought the house. The sink will be installed next to the washer as pictured, I'm from Central Massachusetts.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The pump discharge will need to be cut into your main building drain. Without knowing if any of the lines in your photo are indeed a dry vent, we would only be guessing to tell you how to vent the basin.
Have you heard that a homeowner is not permitted to perform plumbing in Massachusetts without a license?

Ryan71184

Reaction score
That pipe that goes up from the washing machine drain and loops around back into the main drain line is the only thing that somewhat resembles a vent to me. This doesn't connect into the main vent which is on the other side of the basement where the main floor bathroom is. I understand I would have to tap into the main line. Venting is more the question I have what's in the pictures is how it was plumbed when I bought the place.

Reach4

Reaction score
If that laundry sink works, drain the washer into that. Put a lint filter (or pantyhose) over the output of the washing machine hose.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
zoeller_laundry.jpg

Zoeller makes a laundry basin with pump.
The output from this basin and pump uses a check valve, and then you can pipe and pump directly to the 2"

There appears that that there is no way to install a gravity drain there.

Reach4

Reaction score

Last edited:

Ryan71184

Reaction score
Yeah more where to vent it and even if that current vent for the washing machine drain is to code. It never ties into the main house vent. Which is on the other side of the basement

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The easiest place to connect the pump is to one of the cleanouts preferably the one furthest from the washer's trap. There is no place to connect a vent and have it above the overflow of the "fixture" and since that front horizontal pipe covers up the rear one, we cannot even tell if the pipe above the washer's tee is even a proper vent.

Ryan71184

Reaction score
I don't think this vent is correct again this is how I bought the place. In the left picture you can see the vent coming up from the washing machine drain. Well this goes up about a foot and a half makes a bend to the left then as you can see in the right pic eventually ties back into the main drain pipe on the bottom right after where the sink drain pipe comes in. It never ties into the main vent stack. Now if my thought is correct this vent shouldn't tie in here it should continue down the length of the house and tie into the main vent stack where the upstairs bathroom is. Is this a correct statement or is it fine the way it is?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A vent cannot be tied in at any point below the fixtures which are connected to the stack. The connection must always be at least 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture on the stack.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
View attachment 22290View attachment 22291

What's the easiest way to plumb the drain for this. I'll be using a liberty pumps model 404 to pump the waste up to the drain line. Not sure how I should vent this. Pictured is the current setup I bought the house. The sink will be installed next to the washer as pictured, I'm from Central Massachusetts.
I'm going to comment on this post even though it's a bit late. Something struck me about the existing drains that seemed somehow familiar, and didn't get mentioned. I just want to see if anyone else hears bells a-ringing after reviewing the photos. Slap me down if I'm off on this, but the existing drain for the washer is called a Chicago loop. It's used primarily when a kitchen sink is too far from a wall to pass code on the venting requirements. The plumber put together something similar for the washer. Can't see where the other two-inch goes, but hopefully through the roof dry. What passes inspection in one locale may not pass elsewhere.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks