How should I do this?

Users who are viewing this thread

SuperMatttheHero

Reaction score
combo wyes aren't the same as fixture cross fittings like the one you have installed. just break up a little more concrete on either end of the 4" pipe, use a small section of 4" pvc to connect two 4x2 wyes together and install them

It's not a cross fitting that I have installed, it's a double-wye fitting, which appears to be consistent with chapter 7 of the code as I pasted above. Why is this not correct?

Marty53

Reaction score
i think you're problem is that using the double wye in this case is necessitating many extra fittings and not giving your drainage enough slope into the drain because you have to lay the fitting flat. with two seperate 4x2 wyes you can angle both of the the 2" wye's up, and then run a 1/8 bend off it to make both of your 90 degree bends. it would flow better and use less fittings.

SuperMatttheHero

Reaction score
No, I do not "have to lay the fitting flat". It is graded just as well as the 4" cast iron pipe that it connects to. Thus, the two 2" branches that come off of it horizontally, yet are parallel with respect to the 4" section, are also sloped at the proper grade. Any piece of pipe connected to either of the 2" branches is therefore also sloped at the proper grade.

So what is the problem with using it?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you slope one out let at 2% grade going up, the other side will be 2% grade going down.

Or you can set it flat, and see if your plumbing inspector lets you do it.

Any change of direction more than 135 degrees needs a cleanout.

Any vent below grade needs to be run with waste fittings.
No Santees on their back or on their side.

The vent for the shower needs to be pulled off within five feet for UPC
IPC may let you do six feet.

SuperMatttheHero

Reaction score
I would be more concerned with what is happening outside the pictures as far as the drainage is concerned. Here, the double "Y" would not be a factor, BUT every inspector I have ever know, and every code I have ever read, does NOT permit solder joints under concrete, and since "brazing" the joints is a "destructive", and time consuming, practice, we NEVER make any joints in copper below the concrete.

Let me ask this...if I switch to PEX and run it continuously under the slab, I will still need to attach the PEX to the copper which already exists under the slab, and will need to do so with a FITTING.

So how can I possibly plumb these two bathrooms cost effectively without having a fitting that would be under the concrete slab?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks