Hot water only working for a few seconds

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by daigo1, Jan 16, 2014.

1. daigo1

daigo1 New Member

When I turn on the hot water, it only comes out for about 30 seconds, but then gets really cold and stays cold if I leave the water on (I've only tested for about 20 minutes, but it stays cold for those 20 minutes). However, if I turn the water off after the 30 seconds it's hot and as soon as the water gets cold, wait 1-2 minutes then turn the hot water back on, it's hot again for about 30 seconds before it gets goes cold again. Anyone have an idea of what the problem is?
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Conventional WH? Could be a broken dip tube. [​IMG]
  3. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Electric water heater? Bad element
  4. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Tankless water heater?
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Recirc loop with bad check. When not in use, the return line fills with hot water. When the tap is turned on, it draws water from the return line instead of from the tank.