Hole in Bottom of Toto Drake -- Defective?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ssansone

Reaction score
I purchased a second Toto Drake for my hall bath and prior to installing noticed a small hole on the bottom of the bowl. There was no similar hole in the bottom of my Toto I installed previously.

So I called Toto and emailed them a picture of the bowl and they said that this is normal and not defective. Does anyone else have this hole, or know if Toto is being totally honest that it is part of the mold when they are making the toilets?? Seems weird my other Toto did not have one..

They also told me no need to worry that the trapway (feeling inside when I have the bowl upside down) is not glazed at all...I thought they were supposed to be at least partially glazed?

Attachments

• Toilet bottom.jpg
    Toilet bottom.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 3,432

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That hole lets the hot expanded air out when it's in the kiln.
I see the hole all the time.

I also think that the rougher trapway is not a problem, there is less chance for paper or wipes to stick it self to it.

A smooth surface is more likely to "grip" onto wipes.
A little surface bumping allows water to wash under it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks