Help with Well.

Users who are viewing this thread

lamboworld

Reaction score
I have a 3200 sq ft home that is only occupied by my wife an I. Our water is supplied by a community well and we pay about $38 per month. We plan to stay in this home for at least 10 more years.

The previous owner had a well installed for an irrigation system and to supply water to a apartment over a garage. It is not currently being used.

I would like to connect the well to my home but I am unsure about how much this should cost.

Here are the specs on my well.

260 ft deep
Well was dug in 2005
1 1/2 HP Flint and Walling Pump
10 GPM
20 Gallon Flotec pressure tank
Square D Pressure switch 40/60 psi

Can someone help me with these questions?

1. Is this pressure tank too small. I think that it probably is. The pressure tank is currently located outside beside the pump in an enclosed small insulated building. I will either need to build a bigger location for the tank or relocate it into my garage.
2. Do I need black flow preventer since I have an irrigation system?
3. I live in central NC. How deep does the water line need to be buried?
4. What type of pipe should be used to run from my well to my home? Copper, Galvenized, PVC, PEX or something else.
5. I have an encapsulated crawlspace. Should the pipe enter the house through the foundation and then lay on the ground or be held from the joists.
6. Is it possible to connect to the existing connection without plugging it. I would like to use a valve to switch between my well water and the community well if I decided to buy water from the city again.
7. Do most municipalities require a permit to connect a water supply from well?

Am I missing anything?

I am pretty handy and plan on doing the work myself but I just need some help before I attempt this.

Thanks for you help.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
7. Most cities want allow you to be connected to the city and a private well. I would find out from the city what they will allow you to do. They may not allow you to disconnect from the city. What about sewer?

lamboworld

Reaction score
We buy our water through a company and not the city so it should not be a problem to connect to the well. Yes, I do pay a separate fee for sewer and that will not change.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks