Help with Garbage Disposal Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Wombat

Reaction score
I'm installing a garbage disposal for a single sink. The Garbage disposal is directly in front of the drain. If I orientate the drain pipe of the garbage disposal in front of the drain, I am left with only a few inches, not enough for a P-Trap. The wall sanitary-T is a Female ABS threaded 1 1/2.

1. Should I orientate the garbage drain pipe to the side of the drain and then use two 90 degree elbows to connect it?

2. Should the drain pipe of the garbage disposal be inserted till it hits the lip of the p-trap?

3. Should I really use a transition fitting between the PVC and the ABS wall sanitary-t such as a Fernco? The big box sales people say just use a standard PVC compression fitting on it and nobody I see ever uses a transition fitting?

Thank you

Attachments

• garbageDisposal.jpg
    garbageDisposal.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 392
Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you have enough room to install the trap's wall bend, just rotate the disposer's, (probably NOT a "Disposal"), outlet fitting and the trap, until they line up. if they will not line up, then insert a 45 to angle the trap to the side. Without being there it is difficult to tell you HOW I would adjust things to make it work, but I CAN tell you that I would NOT use two 90s.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
p-trap_with_adapter.jpg

I glue on a black adapter onto the black ABS pipe at the wall.
Sometimes you can use a 45 from the wall and angle the trap, swinging the disposer to catch it.
Two 90 bends? Seems a bit drastic.

Only a big box guy would suggeset a rubber coupling to make the connection. I quit asking them anything decades ago.
Their standard answer is yup, yup, yup.
When most of the time it's wrong, wrong, wrong.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks