Help with bathroom drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Rsmith99

Reaction score
F5096F8B-B62E-42ED-B833-D02B879B22BF.jpeg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
1- Putty yes. This seals the water in the bowl from going past the stopper.
2- Nothing. Those threads don't seal anything
3- I often use silicone on these threads to make up for the rubber gasket not doing its job. I smear a tiny bit where the rubber gasket will eventually rest but not below the rubber gasket where the silicone will lock up the nut. It shouldn't be necessary if the rubber is quality.
4- shouldn't need anything if the rubber and the sink match up well.
5- Teflon tape or work in some plumbers putty into the threads. It depends on how visible that joint is going to be. I can wipe off the excess putty easier than cutting the showing tape.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
1- Putty yes. This seals the water in the bowl from going past the stopper.
2- Nothing. Those threads don't seal anything
3- I often use silicone on these threads to make up for the rubber gasket not doing its job. I smear a tiny bit where the rubber gasket will eventually rest but not below the rubber gasket where the silicone will lock up the nut. It shouldn't be necessary if the rubber is quality.
4- shouldn't need anything if the rubber and the sink match up well.
5- Teflon tape or work in some plumbers putty into the threads. It depends on how visible that joint is going to be. I can wipe off the excess putty easier than cutting the showing tape.
Thanks!

MTy

Reaction score
Not a pro. But just realized yours is the same as mine which I recently made a post about. I had to put pipe dope at 5 because Teflon tape wasn't enough. The threads at 3 I was still having some leaking. Not sure what to put there since the leaking isn't between the rubber and sink.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not a pro. But just realized yours is the same as mine which I recently made a post about. I had to put pipe dope at 5 because Teflon tape wasn't enough. The threads at 3 I was still having some leaking. Not sure what to put there since the leaking isn't between the rubber and sink.

Dry the threads and add a thin layer of silicone to the threads. The rubber is supposed to smoosh into those threads to seal, but a less quality rubber might not. The silicone will fill those gaps and make contact with the rubber.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Below is a picture that I found.

1. Under the flange, putty or Silicone. I use putty.
3. Pipe dope on the threads there, yes I do that. I have also used putty on the threads.
5. On the tail piece, I've used tape, putty and dope.

dope-on-drain-threads.jpg

pipe-dope-on-lav-drain-01.jpg

Last edited:

Rsmith99

Reaction score

3. Pipe dope on the threads there, yes I do that. I have also used putty on the threads.

Pipe dope is compatible with the rubber?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've been doping the threads for decades. I got tired of reinstalling drains that leaked when nothing was added to block the pathways.
Putty for a long time, then got lazy and used dope. It's just on the threads, not the rubber.

But still, always looking for ways to reinvent plumbing. I've been told by other plumbers,

"Don't give away our secrets!!"

You're welcome.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've had maybe two bowls that were very wonky where the rubber donut met the bottom of the bowl, and thank goodness I had some Silicone on the van. Nothing else was going to work there.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
One drain I never worry about is the plastic Phister pop-up drain. It comes with a seal for the top flange, and there are no threads where it passes through the donut at the bottom. Hand tightens easily and never leaks.

phister-pop-up-drain.jpg

Older Mercer Island home plumbed with 1-1/4" for the lav drains.

Rsmith99

Reaction score

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks