Help with 11" rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

GeorgeCT

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm going crazy trying to get info about an 11" rough in.

I know a 10" rough in TOTO Drake would work, I would just have to pull it away from the wall 1"...BUT the tank is kind of big at 19.5 inches wide and that almost takes up all the room between the shower stall and opposing wall. What would work is if I substitute the Drake tank with a Drake II tank (since that is only 16.5 inches) but can't get an answer if that would work with standard 10" rough in Drake bowl.

Now I though I read somewhere on Terry's site that a Ultamax can accommodate an 11" rough in even though it's stated as a 12" rough in.
Is that true? Is there an 1" forgiveness slot for the flange bolt? Would the Ultramax or Ultramax II or Eco Ultramax fix an 11" rough in?

Thanks.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Best to check the dimensions on the Toto site. Most of their toilets for 12" are designed to have a 3/4" space behind them, so you could go to 11.25" and be against the wall. There is usually some wiggle room with the bolts too. Some of the Drakes are designed to have 1-1/8" space, so they would be okay at 10-7/8" rough.

Also, when you measure, make sure that you are measuring from the drywall/tile and not the baseboard (unless the baseboard is very tall).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The standard 12" rough Drake needs 10-7/8" for the rough-in.
Measured from the wall, not the floor molding.

Building codes require 15" from the center of the toilet to the side, that means 30" minimum for the space allowed. You have to fit your shoulders in when you sit down. Remember those dangly things that hang off of your shoulders?

Last edited:

GeorgeCT

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
The standard 12" rough Drake needs 10-7/8" for the rough-in.
Measured from the wall, not the floor molding.

Building codes require 15" from the center of the toilet to the side, that means 30" minimum for the space allowed. You have to fit your shoulders in when you sit down. Remember those dangly things that hang off of your shoulders?

Hi Terry...I guess this upstairs bathroom wasn't built to code, the shower stall frame to opposing wall is only 22.5 (not 30" minimum).
So a regular Drake with it's 19.5 tanks is not really great. The Sterling toilet that's there now is 16.5 which is what the Drake II is and the Ultramax as a whole.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks