Help! Toilet tanks keeps leaking...

Users who are viewing this thread

tbright

Reaction score
Lamosa Sahara toilet. Tank seemed loose and was leaking so I replaced all the guts including the seal between the tank and the bowl and the wax seal underneath the bowl. There is a continuous leak coming from under the tank apparently around the seal.

I have pulled it apart several times making sure everything appeared tight and installed correctly. I thought I found a crack inside the tank and covered it with epoxy but still a nagging leak.

I'm now wondering if I have the tank cranked down too tight to the bowl and it may be puckering the seal. The leak is not flush related. I'm thinking water may be creeping up around the tank seal where it meets the bowl.

I tightened the tank down to secure it so not to be wobbly because I didn't know another way. The other bathroom toilet has a rubber-like shim that sits between the tank and bowl. I couldn't find such a shim at HD or Lowes.

Do I have it too tight? How tight should it be? What else?

Tony

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I thought I found a crack inside the tank and covered it with epoxy but still a nagging leak.

Once a tank cracks, it's toast.

The only thing a crack can do in the future is to get even bigger.

Tanks have been known to collapse when homeowers are at work, causing thousands of dollars damage.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
And it arcs through the air in a high arcing trajectory to it collision with the bottom of the dumpster!

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What do I think? I think you've got nothing but time on your hands to keep messing with a leaking, broken toilet. Did you pull the toilet up because of water on the floor? If that's the case, why would you put a broken leaking floor rotting toilet back. Is the toilet reinstalled now, and if so, does it leak? Here's what I would do. I would take that toilet, and strap it onto my back, real tight with a rope and some duct tape. Then I would climb that tall green leafy tree in my front yard with that toilet strapped to me. Builds muscles in my legs and arms when I do stuff like that. Now when I get about 125 feet up into the air, I would start pulling that rope and duct tape off, and get that thing into my hands for one last look. Way down far away, I should be able to spot that great big rock in the front yard. With a mighty heave, I would throw that puppie off and see if I can hit the rock with the toilet from way the heck up in the tree. Wham!, Crash! Eeehaaa! I love doing that kinda thing. Oh yeah, what was the question? Mad Plumber

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
All 4 posts except yours said trash it!

So in reality there is one post that did not answer the posters question and that would be yours... Whats your point?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

The most common cause of your leak is the installer placing metal washers beteen the bolt heads and the rubber washers inside the tank. Otherwise there is not only no reason for it to leak, but almost impossible, unless the crack is bigger than you thought.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks