Help finding a toilet with short rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

NYSteve

Reaction score
I'm replacing a toilet in a 1/2 bath. It has a 12" rough-in, however at the base, the previous owners framed out piping to my A/C. So, its similar to baseboard, but it juts out 4", and is 4" high. So my rough-in at the base is just 8". There was a Kohler 2-piece toilet there, which just rubbed against this base. I can't read the model number.

I was thinking of replacing it with a Toto toilet after reading all the great reviews, but they don't give the dimension from the base of the toilet to the wall.

Can anyone suggest a good toilet that will clear this 4-inch "baseboard"?

Otherwise I might have to buy a stock toilet from Home Depot, so if it doesn't fit, I can easily return it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know of no toilet with an 8" rough in. Typically, the toilets at HD or any of the box stores are el cheapo builder models and do not perform well. Check Terry's link to toilets off of the home page, You can find rough in information there.

Ho333ard

Reaction score
Gary Swart said:
I know of no toilet with an 8" rough in. Typically, the toilets at HD or any of the box stores are el cheapo builder models and do not perform well. Check Terry's link to toilets off of the home page, You can find rough in information there.
If there is no such thing as an 8" rough-in, and there was a toilet there before, then 12" rough-in minus 4" molding apparently does not equal 8" rough-in.
Wish I could explain it :)

NYSteve

Reaction score
Thanks Terry, the Gerber looks like it will fit. I do have a 12" rough-in, the center of the hole is 12" from the wall... but at the base it is only 8" because of this framed out area. So it is not a true 8" rough-in. The Gerber looks like it's base is 6 inches or so away from the wall, and then it curves back to the wall as you go higher up on the toilet.

Now my problem is finding a Gerber toilet... I see them listed on your site, but they don't deliver to NY/NJ. And I can't seem to find Gerber toilets on other websites. The only place that supplies them in my area is out in PA. Have any other recommendations, or where to get a Gerber?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks