HELP! Burst Pipe between my Well Pump and Pressure tank. What do i do?

Users who are viewing this thread

mikewags

Reaction score
Hi all, new member here. Temperatures have been at records low lately, -12 the other night! I've been checking my pipes and all is well in the house, but my barn has a room with the well pump and well pressure tank stored there. There is a wall between the pump room, and another room that has the pressure tank. I replaced the pressure tank that came with the house about 6 months ago, there was a bladderless tank there that was water logged, i replaced it with a 30 gallon Water Worker (bladder).

Anyways, please see the attached photos...

I had the pump circuit breaker off, but i forgot to drain the water from the pressure tank before it got freezing cold overnight. The bursted pipe is between the pump/pressure gauge, and the pressure tank. It's about a 3 foot section that is cracked the whole way, but thats it. All the pvc on the Pressure tank side is not broken and should be fine.

SO WHAT SHOULD I DO? Currently it is still frozen solid. I assume i need to cut away that broken section of pipe and replace it.

Question #1: If the ice in the pipe melts towards the end of the week, will the pressure tank empty itself into my pump room due to this broken pipe? I would imagine this burst pipe equates to having a faucet turned ON outside.

Question #2: Is there a way to keep the water in the tank from emptying out while working on this?

Thank you in advance for any support! Trying to avoid a mess and get this sorted asap.

IMG_20131210_180400.jpg
PUMP ROOM
IMG_20131210_180351.jpg
CRACKED PIPE IN PUMP ROOM - 3/4 FOOT PIPE RUNS INTO THE WALL - PRESSURE TANK IS ON THE OTHER SIDE
IMG_20131210_180504.jpg
ON OPPOSITE SIDE OF WALL - THE PRESSURE TANK SETUP
IMG_20131210_180518.jpg

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Go down to Home Depot or lowes and get some 1/2" pex and adapters. Replace the pipe. Shut the pump off and drain the tank first. Then wrap a heat tape around the new pipe and insulate it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Turn off the pump if you have not done so. I would try to save the water that is in the pressure tank in the bathtub, and in some buckets buckets in the house. That should mostly empty the pressure tank. Use buckets to flush the toilet.

Get a heater for the pump room before starting repairs.

mikewags

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response guys.

I will get the necessary parts to cut this out and replace. A little more info, this doesn't connect to my house - its simply an irrigation pump for the yard/garden.

The pump hasnt been on during any of this time, i had the power to the pump cut to prepare for the weather - i simply forgot to bleed the tank and the water in those pipes froze.

Since this setup is enclosed (the pump room) i just want to prevent the water in the tank spilling out everywhere and making a mess. It's safe to assume that once those pipes thaw, the water will come gushing out right? Or am I not understanding the physics of a bladderless tank?

I do have this blowoff valve i installed (PICTURE BELOW) - perhaps i can open this up to drain the pressure tank (near the pump and cracked pipe space is very limited).

IMG_20131210_180434.jpg

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, unless you have a valve to stop it.

Presuming you have a spigot, hook a garden hose up, put the other end outdoors pointing to a low spot where you will not be walking, turn on the water full blast to drain the tank. Often there would be a spigot at the pressure tank fitting

mikewags

Reaction score
Heres that pressure relief valve - i could open this up to drain the water from here right?

IMG_20131210_185904.jpg

Theoretically i could also just unscrew this valve and drain that way (at least i'd have room to catch it) ...

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think that pressure relief valve is installed backwards. I do not think it will work that way.

mikewags

Reaction score
Holy crap you're right (smacks forehead)...

Well, will just have to unscrew it and see if i can drain the water that way.

Once i get this sorted, i'll attach a spigot where the relief valve is.

Last edited:

mikewags

Reaction score
I removed the valve, it was frozen inside those pipes as well.

Attached a 1/2" to 3/4" adapter + hose, ran the hose outside.

Will need to thaw this area of pipes and see if it begins to drain out. Wondering if the water in the tank might of frozen as well...I know i had a chicken waterer outside (50 gallon drum) that was 3/4's full that froze - then again it was outside and exposed.

Thanks for the help and input guys.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks