Hearing weird crackling sounds from bottom of Kohler Highline bowl

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by MFfan310, Jun 25, 2007.

1. MFfan310

MFfan310 New Member

Well, I'm back on here, with a question:

I have a 1 1/2 year old Kohler Highline toilet (Kohler model # K-3427, purchased as part of a K-11450 "Complete Solution" package with seat and wax ring at Lowe's) that was bought to replace a 3.5 gpf Mansfield "contractor's special". It's now starting to exhibit some weird crackling sounds around the base of the bowl whenever one sits or bends over. Is this a sign that the china is cracking? If it is, should I run out to buy another toilet? Anyway, I haven't abused the toilet at all, though one member of our family climbed on top of the bowl yesterday while installing a cabinet over the toilet. Could that be the culprit?

Also, while I know that Terry here often recommends Toto, I wonder if the new American Standard Champion 4 (the new one with the 4" flapper and "Accelerator", NOT the old Champion wth the leaky flush tower) works fine? Any help that could possibly stop a toilet emergency would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Does the toilet rock on the floor at all? If it does, it may have leaked and you could have structural problems as a result.
  3. MFfan310

MFfan310 New Member

Nope... it doesn't rock on the floor. Thanks for the tip, though.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

We are always looking for testers.
    When I first saw the Champion, I laughed. I told the distributor straight up that I didn't think it was going to last very long. Turned out I was right.

You can always buy the newer one and let us know.
    They don't list a Champion 4 on their web site though.
  5. Cass

Cass Plumber

To find the cause of the noise you need to pull the toilet and inspect the bottom of the bowl and floor.
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If plywood has delaminated because of rot or moisture damage, you'll get some weird sounds when you apply weight to it.