Having toruble dropping pump down well

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by dcorazal, Aug 27, 2011.

1. dcorazal

dcorazal New Member

Help!

I have my new pump attached to the 1 1/4 poly pipe and I can get the pipe down about 80 feet of my 100 feet and then is gets hung up on something.

I have a 5" cast iron well casting and believe the pump is getting hung up on a splice where the 5†pipe is spliced. When I bought the poly it was rolled up in a 5’ diameter so I left it out in the yard for a few days to straighten in the sun. It still wants to cruel up when I am trying to drop it down the well. I have made 3 attempts to get the pipe down. The first time It got stuck at about 60 feet so I am thinking that I was dealing with the same thing just up higher.
    Anyone else had trouble with new poly and the old cast pipe?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Try to spin it through the tight spot. But always spin it to the right!!!!!!!
  3. dcorazal

dcorazal New Member

Tomorrow I am going to try and install a 20 foot pvc schedule 80 for the first section and then attach my poly to that

Wish me luck
  4. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

I don't like mixing types of drop pipe in a well but to each his own. If the polypipe won't go there is a well problem. I'd try running all schedule 80 threaded PVC with brass or stainless steel couplings. Run it in easy and if the pump won't go then I'd pull it all out and find a contractor with a "Down Hole Camera" and have him to run the camera in the well to see what's wrong. Don't lose a well and a pump by taking shortcuts because it could cost you thousands to replace everything.
  5. dcorazal

dcorazal New Member

Finaly got it. I hired a guy to help me out. He did not have a camera but he had a pipe with a ball of wax on it and dropped it down on on the obstruction and found it to be a broken off 1 1/4 pcv pipe with pump and wire still attached. After fishing that out I dropped my pump down the well with no problem.

THANK YOU so much for this form and all the great members!!!!