Gwyneth Toilet Wont Stop Running

Users who are viewing this thread

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I have a Gwyneth Toilet that is about 5 years old. This week it decided to act up and wont stop running. When the tank gets full, the water keep coming in.

Under t he lid are codes THU253s, THU277s, and THU299s.

I have tried adjusting the water level, but it doesn't make any differance.

Can anybody tell me what parts I need?

Thanks!
Ron

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Help us out a bit.

You say it "won't stop running". I get that the tank reaches the height at which it should shut off and the valve doesn't shut off. But I need more info to help you.

When it "keeps running", does the water rise above the top of the overflow riser and go down that riser? Or does the tank fill and "keep running", but the tank doesn't overflow. Big difference in issue depending on the answer to that question.

Give us some more description and we'll help you get it fixed.

(The numbers you describe are the numbers for various flappers that would work in that toilet. Don't go get one of those; we'll give you a better solution if the flapper is the problem.)

Also, look at this fill valve servicing piece and tell me which fill valve type you have, Type A or Type B. Thanks! Link to Fill Valve Servicing Piece

Last edited:

Rsmith99

Reaction score
The tank fills past the overflow and water runs down the overflow. Also, the water line that goes into the overflow tube keeps flowing water into the overflow tube.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Okay, that does sound like a fill valve issue. Look at the piece I mentioned and try cleaning the valve, particularly if it's a Type B. Which valve type is it?

If it's the Type A, servicing might not work and you'll need to replace it, but I would try servicing first anyway. Very, very easy to replace. Get a Korky 528MP valve, called a 528MPK at Lowe's. Also called the MaxPerformance fill valve. Install it. Takes 5 minutes with Korky's excellent directions (and online videos HERE if you need them). Done. (It's similar to the Type B valve.) Lowe's has it for like $10.50. http://www.lowes.com/pd_336988-868-528MPK_0__?Ntt=528mpk&UserSearch=528mpk&productId=3284948&rpp=16

If you have the Type B valve, no need to get a new one. If cleaning it doesn't work, get the Korky R528 cap for less than $5 at Lowe's or your hardware store, swap that out, and it should solve the problem.

Last edited:

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I got the Korky 528MP valve. Did not have the MPK version. Is Korky really as good as the ToTo valve? I'm not concerned about paying a little more, just the quality.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it's type A, remove the water supply from the bottom, and using a needle nose pliers, pull out the filter and clean it.

tsu33a_2.jpg

The screen in the inlet. A needle nose pliers will remove it for cleaning.

Last edited:

Rsmith99

Reaction score
Not questioning you, just curious. How would a clogged filter keep the valve from shutting off?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you call up the TOTO tech support line, they will suggest removing the filter and cleaning it.
If you call up the Flushmate tech support on their product, they will suggest pulling the screen and cleaning it.

It has to do with water pressure. The seal on both these units need pressure to force the closure. If the pressure is too weak, you don't get a complete shutoff.
No tools (except the needle nose to pull the filter) and about a minute of your time.

tsu33a_2.jpg

The screen in the inlet. A needle nose pliers will remove it for cleaning.

Last edited:

Rsmith99

Reaction score
Filter was clean. Replace entire valve with the ToTo replacement valve. Looks like I got the height adjustment off by one notch. The water level in the tank is about 1/8" from the top of the overflow. Would like about 1/2" but it's not worth taking it back out to make the adjustment. It's working now.

Thanks for the help!
Ron

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Glad to hear it! I think you'll like the Korky valve better than the Voreto (Type A) valve. Generally a quieter shutoff.

Also, for what it's worth, I have a little trick with the Korky if in the future you do want to lower it a notch. (Generally, the valve slides up about 1/8" in the grooves that lock it in place when you twist it, which may account in part for why it's higher than you wanted.)

If you want to lower it without removing it, my little trick is as follows: Turn off the water and flush the toilet. Put a bucket underneath where the water will come out of the hole for the fill valve. Remove the lid from the toilet. Holding the shank of the valve from underneath so the valve doesn't turn, loosen the mounting nut that holds the fill valve underneath the toilet just a bit. Now, holding the top of the fill valve in place with your right hand, twist the shank of the valve from underneath to unlock it with your left hand. Slide it down a notch or two with your right hand, then twist the shank back to lock, again from underneath. A little water will drip over your hand while you do. Then tighten the mounting nut again by hand while holding the shank. Done. You don't even have to unscrew the water supply hose.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks