Grouting question

Users who are viewing this thread

Fruitfilledevil

Reaction score
I plan on using Mapei Keracolor U unsanded grout for my subway tile. It will be dark in color. My question is, can I use a lighter color grout on the glass tile in back of niche, as I think the dark grout will not look good. What is the general opinion?

PXL_20220425_195345860.jpg
PXL_20220425_195350872.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Do the niche first and let it dry completely before going to the next color. You don't want the darker grout bleeding to the lighter. It will be a bit tough to prevent the grout from going past the inside corner if that is where you'll make the transition. You might use ice cream pop sticks (buy at Michael's or craft stores) and wedge them in the between the tiles to act as a barrier. Before going to the wall tile, tape off the niche tile to prevent the darker grout from going over the lighter ground.

I think your idea of two colors is good since the niche has black tiles. Dark grout will make two thin tiles look like one thicker one.

Fruitfilledevil

Reaction score
Do the niche first and let it dry completely before going to the next color. You don't want the darker grout bleeding to the lighter. It will be a bit tough to prevent the grout from going past the inside corner if that is where you'll make the transition. You might use ice cream pop sticks (buy at Michael's or craft stores) and wedge them in the between the tiles to act as a barrier. Before going to the wall tile, tape off the niche tile to prevent the darker grout from going over the lighter ground.

I think your idea of two colors is good since the niche has black tiles. Dark grout will make two thin tiles look like one thicker one.
Thank you for the advice. Good idea on the taping. I'll give it a shot.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Industry standards call for ALL changes of plane or materials to NOT be grouted, so those areas should be caulked. It's too late to have decided to use an engineered expansion joint, then nothing would need caulk.

I can't tell what the gap joint width is, but most unsanded (and industry standards) say unsanded is good up to a 1/8" gap, otherwise, you should use a sanded one. FWIW, unsanded is less robust than a sanded one, too.

Fruitfilledevil

Reaction score
Industry standards call for ALL changes of plane or materials to NOT be grouted, so those areas should be caulked. It's too late to have decided to use an engineered expansion joint, then nothing would need caulk.

I can't tell what the gap joint width is, but most unsanded (and industry standards) say unsanded is good up to a 1/8" gap, otherwise, you should use a sanded one. FWIW, unsanded is less robust than a sanded one, too.
You're correct. I am going to caulk the corners. My question was referring to grouting the glass a light color, and the subway tile a dark color. I will caulking the intersection if the two planes

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's dealer's choice...whatever you or your significant other think looks good.

Depending on what software you may have, it wouldn't be that hard to use a photo editing program to 'add' whatever color grout you wanted to view the effect.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks