Flange support?

Users who are viewing this thread

Guy48065

Reaction score
Installed a Champion toilet yesterday. I checked the tile floor and it was flat & even. The toilet rocked a bit during the dry fit check. I didn't see a reason for it. I used 4 thin shims around the base to get it dead level & eliminate the rocking.
The flange was about ⅜ below flush so I stacked 2 rings.
No leaks & feels solid.

My question is... Since the base is barely shimmed up off the floor can I just caulk around it and call it good, or should I stuff something under the base for more support? And what should I use - - make up some thick plaster? Grout...?
And when there's not much gap do you mash it in there with fingers or maybe squeeze it in with a pastry bag (Ziploc with the corner snipped off)?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
We use the hard translucent plastic shims. Then use a chisel to snap them from sticking out. Then translucent silicone caulk.
Never ever used plaster in my 49 years plumbing.

Guy48065

Reaction score
We use the hard translucent plastic shims. Then use a chisel to snap them from sticking out. Then translucent silicone caulk.
Never ever used plaster in my 49 years plumbing.
Probably those crazy tile guys do that...but I know it's done sometimes.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive had new construction where they grouted in the toilets they are rock solid and save me the time of caulking . one of my toilets apears to been grouted its on ground floor concrete slab tile floor I dont like it but its solid never had an issue

Guy48065

Reaction score
My previous home was built in 58 and the pink toilet on the pink tiles was probably original. It sat on a cast iron flange that was on top of the tile. That toilet hovered ½" over the floor and was set on grout & troweled off flush to the base. It was a nice finished appearance and rock solid.

I installed my upstairs toilet today and it rocked a bit side to side like yesterday's so was stabilized with the plastic shims.
It doesn't feel like it needs any additional support so I guess I'll just caulk around the base with silicone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks