General questions about marble mosaic tile

Users who are viewing this thread

sajesak

Reaction score
About to embark on one of my most ambitious tile projects to date. It is a feature wall in the Master bathroom which means I want it to look as absolutely perfect as I am capable of making it.
I have drawn out the shape and size of the wall on the subfloor of my addition in progress and am mock laying the tiles on the floor so I can get good measurements get everything centered right and plan my grout joints as well as I can. In doing so, I have obviously unpacked and unwrapped all of my tile. The wall will have a base of white subway tile and an inlay of marble mosaic with a thin pencil border. I have never worked with marble before and only once have I used mosaic tiles so...

My questions...
1. With a mosaic tile pre-mounted on a mesh is it normal to have some tiles out of position (see below)?
2. If you do have a tile out of position, do you just go with it or do you attempt to correct it?
3. What is the best way to correct it if you choose to do so? Twist/ wiggle/ manipulate while installing or cut it out in advance, install the sheet and then place the individual from the pile of cutouts?
4. When cutting tile in a mosaic to line up (in other words to remove the jigsaw edges) is it best to remove the ones to be cut from the mesh and cut them individually or try to cut the entire sheet?
5. When cutting
marble tile with a wet saw and a diamond tile blade, is it best to do so face down or face up and why? (chipping? scratching? other?)
6. When you are doing a wall with an inlay like this...where do you start? bottom up everything at the same time? Inlay first, then pencil, then outside base? Base first, then pencil then inlay?

Thanks guys. Once I cut the pieces and complete the mock up I plan to post a pic for critique.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks