Grohe faucet handle removal

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Mike2, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Mike2

Mike2 Junior Member

I have a number of Grohe mdl. # 31 054 faucets on my boat.

I need to replace some cartridges but for the life of me can't figure out how to remove those handles. :confused:

What's the secret?

:)
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2010
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

From the parts breakdown, it lists the handle as a complete assembly, and then the subcomponents, one of which is center cap. Most of these have a cap that pops off to expose the screw which holds things together. It appears that yours is fairly standard in that manner. See if you can find a seam between the top of the handle and the rest of it. Being careful to avoid scratching things up, pry the cap off. You should see the screw, which will allow the rest of the handle to be removed. Should be easy from there.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2010
  3. Mike2

Mike2 Junior Member

There is no sign of a screw cap/cover on these handles Jim. Appears to be one solid chromed piece of metal.

I have all the original documention that came with these faucets including the installation instructions and parts list. No mention anywhere on how to remove the handles to get at the cartridges.

Anyone else know?

4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The part I mentioned is for a different set of handles, the cross. Should have looked closer.

Humm, maybe it is just a press fit, then the guts unscrew. You might have to wait until you can call them on Monday to be sure.
  5. Mike2

Mike2 Junior Member

Yeah, a pressed fit is what I'm afraid of.

They cannot be pulled off by hand, that I know. And I don't want to try the tapered shim stock/hammer routine until I know for sure how those parts separate.

I see these faucets frequently, both on boats and in home bar sinks so I know there are plumbers out there who have dealt with this before.

6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

handles

They can usually be pulled off by hand if you sort of rock them while pulling. Otherwise wrap them with tape and then pull them off with a pair of Channellock pliers.
  7. breplum

breplum Member

I have worked on dozens of these. They do absolutely pull off. It takes muscle and grip; and watch out for what may be in the way of your elbow when the handle gives, cause it only gives with lots of force and you don't want to smack into anything.
  8. Mike2

Mike2 Junior Member

Thanks guys, applying more muscle it will be. Given location and proximity to side cabinets I may end up removing the entire faucet assembly first to get enough leverage.
  9. Cass

Cass Plumber

If all else fails, drill a hole in the center of the handle then use a dent puller. Fill the hole with some liquid steel when the job is complete.

Just Kidding......
  10. Mike2

Mike2 Junior Member

I got a boat Cass.....but I didn't get off it yesterday. :D

I suspect that because the boat is moored in a marine environment those brass parts have become say we say, well "glued" together. Six years of "glue" as a matter of fact. ;)

I'll post the outcome.
  11. breplum

breplum Member

The part which the handle fits onto is plastic (semi-hard polypropelyene) so there is no bond whatsoever, just detents which fit snugly.
  12. Mike2

Mike2 Junior Member

Some more good news, thanks for the tip. You's guys are great.

You's guys is how us Northwest Yankees pronounce y'all. :D
  13. yhughes

yhughes New Member

same problem

I'm trying to remove my Grohe Wideset 20610 faucet handle because it's leaking and ran into this thread.
    I'm wondering if Mike did remove his faucet by pulling it off with muscle.

Thanks in advance for any tip.
  14. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

For that type of handle, you pull the metal handle off, and then you will see the attaching screw.

Attached Files: