Grohe Bathroom Faucet - How to remove cartridge??

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by chitowngreeny, Dec 10, 2012.

1. chitowngreeny

chitowngreeny New Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    I have a Grohe Classic Chrome 21 175 bathroom faucet with a fairly heavy stream of leaking water (when the valve is open...i've had it closed until I get it fixed)...after finally getting the faucet handle off (pulling really hard), I now can't seem to get the cartridge out...see picture below. I tried using an adjustable wrench, and it will not budge. If I put any more force on the wrench the decorative housing is going to snap!

I know i need to replace the cartridge with a 45 883 (or generic equivalent) which looks like this...

...but it seems that the existing cartridge is firmly attached to the housing...any thoughts??
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    It just unthreads.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    It unscrews the "normal" way. IF the housing breaks which is not likely, then there was no way to get it out anyway.