GPM? more or less?

Users who are viewing this thread

PeteK

Reaction score
My old submersible pump is 3/4 HP. The counterman at the plumbing supply asked if I wanted 5GPM or 12GPM. Any reason to choose one or the other? I haven't pulled my old one yet, but could I tell the specs from it? The old one gave me great service for 30 years, so whatever it was, it was apparently the right one.

Reach4

Reaction score
Lot of space between 5 GPM and 12 GPM. The 5 GPM would be for a well with the water far down.

How far down is your water?

Reach4

Reaction score
I guess the 5GPM would be for a slow recovery well?
No. It would be for a well where water is farther down. It would have more stages, and would cost more than the 12 GPM pump.

85 feet to the pump, 75 vertical feet(300 lineal) to the house.
The horizontal matters very little. The 75 feet is important, and that will add to the depth of the water in the well.

Regarding selecting a pump, I would think a 7 to 10 gallon pump would be good for most houses. Neither of the ones that you listed are in that range. One thing to consider is that your pressure tank should be big enough to let the pump run for a minute or more. If pumping 15 GPM, you would want at least 15 gallons of drawdown, and that would be about a 60 gallon pressure tank.

It may be that a 1/2 HP pump would be a better choice.
See the graph, which is for some 7 GPM pumps. This is for Franklin J-class, but other makers and models will have similar graphs. The vertical axis is feet of "head". That is the sum of the pressure in the house translated to ft + the actual distance down to the water surface + an amount to allow for the water surface dropping (20 ft may be a good number).

You want a pump that will spend most of its time in the shaded efficient area, and ideally near the middle of the shade. You want a pump that stay on the solid part of the line for its design. Something to consider is that the pump is not pumping into the highest pressure most of the time.

There are similar graphs, and tables that can be easier once you have selected the HP and GPM for most people, for other pumps. This graph was snipped from http://franklinwater.com/media/146690/mj3200_jclass_3200_series_brochure_06-15_web.pdf I am not saying that is the pump family you should use, but other pumps have similar curves.

If you have two good choices, smaller HP is better. You did not mention whether you are using a "2 wire" or "3 wire" (3-wire needs controller) pump. If you have higher water requirements, move up to 10 GPM. 12 would be high for most houses I think.

Attachments

• img_4.png
    img_4.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 143

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
10 and 12 GPM pumps are usually the same. Just depends where on the curve you are figuring. Some companies use 12 instead of 10 so they can say there pump produces more than other companies. In reality a 3/4 HP in 10 or 12 GPM will do basically the exact same thing.

Reach4

Reaction score
img_5.png
I guess the 85 referred to the vertical distance. So the pump would be set 170 ft down from the house. However that would only matter if the pump was ready to run dry. I expect that you will find the water level is significantly higher than the pump. However if the water dropped to near the level of the pump, it would be an advantage IMO for the pump to pump at a lower rate.

Here is the tables for two 10 GPM Franklin J-class pumps. Here the depth to water is handled separately from the house PSI. You would like to stay in the shaded area, even when the water pressure is down to the cut-on pressure.

Between these two, if the water was normally 30 feet above the pump, I would have a preference for the 1/2 HP over the 3/4 HP.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks