Got alot of Water but pump will not build pressure

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Jones10101, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Jones10101

Jones10101 New Member

Put in a new point and replaced the old pump. Got everything hooked up and the pump pumps alot of water but will not build pressure and shut off. I even returned the pump and got another one thinking I had a defective pump. I hooked up a 10' feet piece of 1/2" pvc to the outlet of the pump water will shoot out about 15 feet! but the pressure will not go above 30-35lbs of pressure. I'm at a loss. I put in a few of these systems in the past and had no problems. Everything is new. Pump, check valve, and point. Please help!!
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Are you pumping into a tank? What kind of pump are you using? Are you getting any air in the pumped water?
  3. Jones10101

Jones10101 New Member

Pressure tank about 5' feet from pump. The pump is a Master Plumber model 123355 convertible 1/2 hp. There is no air in the water at all. I have had all connections apart a couple of times and can find any leaks.
  4. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

The nozzle in the jet assembly is plugged. Take the jet assembly apart and clean out the 1/4" hole in it and then it will build pressure. Pumps don't build pressure, the jet assembly builds the pressure.
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

I would guess that the jet assembly was exchanged with the pump.