go easy, it's my first posting...bathroom remodel question...

Users who are viewing this thread

qgsm33

Reaction score
I'm starting on a remodel of one of our bathrooms that (to make a long story short) will move the sink from the back/wet wall ... to the side wall. The sink used to be plumbed directly into the wet wall. The side wall is a standard 2x4 wall. The side wall is approximately 5' long, and I'd like to put the new sink a little offset on that 5' wall...I'm guessing the new sink will be about 3-4 feet from the wet wall where all the vent/drain pipes exist.

I "could" try and beef up the side wall to make it 6" deep...but it's going to make for a lot of "surgery". I'd like to avoid that.

So here are my questions:

1) can I get away with NOT adding any new vent pipes? There's a 2.5" vent pipe in the wet wall (where the old sink used to be) that I can tap into. I thought I read somewhere that I could have a horizontal run of a few feet before needing to hit a vent pipe.

2) We haven't picked a vanity for this new sink/side wall...but I'm sure the wife is going to want drawers in at least part of it. Any suggestions on running the drain line? I'm hoping there's a way to run the drain pipe horizontally to the wet well...and run it in the back of the vanity cabinet. somebody mentioned that maybe the drain link could be run on the floor...in the toe-kick part of the cabinet. Obviously the pitch would have to be met either way.

3) anything else I need to watch out for?

thanks in advance... Hopefully the attached picture makes sense. I've made the wet wall "invisible"...

Attachments

• Em Bathroom - no tub.jpg
    Em Bathroom - no tub.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 519

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am not sure if you could run the drain line around the corner, it would depend on the pipe size and your code, but you CANNOT run it in the toespace of the cabinet.

qgsm33

Reaction score
I am not sure if you could run the drain line around the corner, it would depend on the pipe size and your code, but you CANNOT run it in the toespace of the cabinet.

Hello hj - thanks for the reply. Regarding the toespace: can you explain why I can't do that? I thought I read on one of the other threads that somebody suggested running it in the toespace (proper slope required). Am I okay coming off the sink, going straight back into the back of the vanity...and then down to the "floor" of the vanity...and over to the wet wall?

Secondly, my picture might have confused things: when you said "not sure if I could run the drain line around the corner"...I hadn't planned on doing that. Once the drain line heads to the wet wall (where the old drain lines are shown in the picture), I would drop straight into the main drain line and pop the vent stack right there as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks