Global Warming, now Water Shortage

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
Sometimes the stones are too big too pass, no amount of water will push them thru--insurance is really important since, procedures and hospitals can be very expensive. You can buy direct thru Highmark Blue Shield. But, now that ( stones) will probably be subject to a one year (look back 5 years) pre-existing clause. Sometimes, you can be caught between a rock and hard place.

BrooklynJon

Reaction score
Florida Orange,

I didn't want to elaborate on my statement about popular hypotheses being false not because I was being evasive, but because I had to join my trick-or-treating kids.

Anyway, the most prominent one from the medial literature was the lidocaine-after-myocardial infarction fiasco. People with MIs (heart attacks) often have arrhythmias. Lidocaine treats arrhythmias. At some point someone had the bright idea that everyone should be put on lidocaine routinely after an MI. 20 years later, someone suggested that it should be studied in a randomized, placebo controlled study. They were roundly criticized for being unethical (withholding the therapy that everybody knew was beneficial in the name of science). Of course, it turned out that the lidocaine was increasing the mortality from MIs. To the tune of 2500 excess deaths in the USA per year. Over the 20+ years that it was the standard of care, it resulted in around 55,000 excess deaths, even though EVERYONE thought it was the right thing to do.

Electronic fetal monitoring during labor was also accepted widely as proper medical care without any adequate prospective studies. When it was finally studied, it turned out to have no effect on babies, but only increased the c-section rate.

Relativity? Widely mocked and derided.

The sun as the center of the solar system? Widely mocked and derided.

The Big Bang? Widely mocked and derided.

The expanding universe? Widely mocked and derided.

Quantum Electrodynamics? Widely mocked and derided (by Einstein, no less! Remember, "God doesn't play dice with the universe!")

Essentially no scientific journalists understand the difference between prospective data and retrospective data. That's why we get pronouncements about how diet soda causes obesity. Frankly, most scientists are less than clear on the subject. I know, because I have to explain this all the time to scientists. Bottom line: prospective data can show causality. Retrospective data cannot. They can only tell you that tw things go together, but not which is causing which, or whether either is causing the other.

6.5 billion people affecting the Earth's temperature? Sure it's possible. It's also possible that they're affecting the Earth's gravitational field or magnetic field. Possible? Sure. Likely? Nuh-uh. But, any scientist would say "Show me the data." That's not what happens now with global warming. If you dare to question the orthodixy, everyone gets shrill and resorts to ad homineim attacks, which is the ultimate reason why I strongly doubt the theory. It's not science. It's religion. People stay pretty calm about scientific disputes. They get bent out of shape about religion.

So here's a little experiment you can do. Make up a little sign that says "I'm skeptical about anthropogenic global warming via carbon dioxide" Stand on a street corner with it, and see how calmly people express their disagreement with you. Now do the same with a sign that says "I believe that RNA is the original genetic material, not DNA." Think there will be a difference? I do.

Cookie

Reaction score
Jon,
You will love this question. I am just asking for your opinion on the relationship between genetics and the big C. What do you think?

Bosun

Reaction score
So, to sum up...

The idea is that since there is no scientific proof, it cannot be? THAT is what drives me nuts.

I think the comparison between religion and warming is simplistic.

And people who get excited about China and India not "following the rules?" Yep, that's life. But why shouldn't we?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Jon,
You will love this question. I am just asking for your opinion on the relationship between genetics and the big C. What do you think?

causes...

I believe having a genetic predisposition to cancer means activities like smoking will attribute to the onset but are not the root cause.

If you want to be technical, the one and only thing that causes cancer is your body's immune system failing to get rid of defective cells.

That's it, that's cancer in a nutshell.

And that's also why if you get cancer you're likely to get it again, because if your body failed to get rid of the cancerous cells last time, it will fail to do so the next time you get defective cells.

The average person gets cancer several times in their lifetime, but gets over it naturally long before any symptoms actually show up.

HOWEVER - in the case of cancer....the DNA gets messed up. Some think that it maybe an unknown virus that invades the cell, or the code of the DNA its self somehow gets twisted.

There is a phenomenal amount of code within a DNA strand. There's a lot of redundant code, duplication code as well as recessive code.

So, a cell divides with this code.
Instead of it dividing ONCE......it divides like 6 times. And it continues to replicate in this multiple fashion. Each time it replicates, its more and more.

That's why, if you can catch it early enough - you could destroy those cells before they actually BECOME the organ that they were supposed to be renewing.

That's a really simple way of describing it.

I had a doctor tell me once that if we lived long enough, we'd all die of some form of cancer.

Sounds about right.

genetics plays a big role in whether someone gets cancer or not....after all, we're all born with cancer cells...dormant until something activates them

or so I've been taught.

These were all opinions formulated from a discussion on another forum of the validity of whether or not smoking during pregnancy is harmful. Ridiculous to even think that smoking is safe.

I've cast the die for being a candidate for lung cancer by being a former smoker from years ago. The choices you make before can land you in the situation you're in today.

I have 2 older women that are my customers that were just diagnosed with breast cancer, one is far worse off than the other and I feel so sorry for her. Stage 3 and numerous surgeries, lymph nodes were involved. << That involvement is a timeline set you cannot change most times.

It's getting too common and I have 2 male customers that were diagnosed with prostate cancer as well. None of us are oblivious to this and I guess we should expect it from the way things are going.

In my area, it's considered the cancer belt region and I'm sure the water and the treatment of which (getting back on topic) is what is causing this maybe? There is only so much you can extract from water down to its base formula and I believe certain levels of radiation and chemical residues are partly to blame.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati is notorious for having the most cases of brain tumors and kidney stones (heh, score!).

The kidney stones due to the gypsum plant and numerous rock quarries that emit levels of limestone into the air. This in turned creates a higher level of ability to create deposits/stones. < Told to me by a ER doctor and nurse present.

I know of a child and a former customer that had brain tumors removed that were non-cancerous. I know of both of these people and met them in the last 6 months.

Too common but there's no stopping this now...

Last edited:

BrooklynJon

Reaction score
Bosun,

Of course the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. There may be global warming. And people may be the cause of it. Or not.
There may be global cooling. And people may be the cause of it. Or not.

Open scientific research, over time, will probably get to the bottom of it. However, when research is corrupted by politicians and by journalists, it interferes with getting to the answer.

But remember, the fixes that have been proposed are not harmless ones like "buy a hybrid" or "insulate your house". Proposed fixes will devastate the environment and our economy. And this is based on very incomplete and questionable information and an unproven hypothesis.

The situation we have right now is that a scientist that disputes the accepted wisdom is considered a cook or - even worse - a shill for industry or for the Bush administration. The current academic environment is like a witch trial, in which no one is willing to publicly question the data (which ARE questionable), or the methodology for reaching a conclusion.

Science has been distorted. In fact, people - scientists - are accepting these conclusions without checking the data themselves, which is simply not how science is supposed to work. Science is empirical. Believing something because someone else said so is not. It is religion, not science.

BrooklynJon

Reaction score
Cancer and genetics

Cookie,

It depends on the cancer. Cancer is a heterogeneous disease. Some cancers are mostly genetic based (e.g. neuroblastoma). Some are environmental (e.g. mesothelioma). Some are infectious (e.g. cervical carcinoma).

BrooklynJon

Reaction score
Bosun,

What drives ME nuts is how willing people are to accept the party line in climate research, but how resistant they are to accept the results of medical research. There can be reams of data on soem topic or another, but how many people ignore that and go to "alternative" providers to get some treatment that has not a shred of evidence to support it?

How hard would it be to find 2000 doctors to say that magnets are a load of crap? Or aromatherapy? Or spine manipulation (for disorders that have nothing to do with the spine)? Or reflexology? Or massage (unless your muscles are sore)? Or homeopathy? And how many people pursue these alternative therapies anyway? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these therapies are without merit. I'm just saying that the medical establishment thinks they are, just like the climate research establishment thinks its heresy to doubt anthropogenic global warming. And unlike the medical establishment, which many people are deeply suspicious of, the global warmingists are accepted uncritically. Just sayin'...

Bosun

Reaction score
I agree

I agree that people are going nuts. People seem to want a silver bullet for this one, and it's not spelled hybrid. Just like when people want to lose weight, the lifestyle change is the real problem.

Cookie

Reaction score
Rugged,

My quote did not come from another forum and why are you including them into mine?

I was asking Jon the question because I have been studying about the single strand and the double strand DNA.

Also, you should really get your stone analyzed to see what kind it is. I would talk with your urologist. It can be controlled by diet.

Good luck.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
what drives me crazy is that all these people complain about suvs and what everybody else is doing. Most of the time the people that bitch the most are the ones that cause the most harm.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Higher fuel costs don't even phase the majority of people driving in my area.

If there is ever an abrupt halt in fuel consumption in this world, you are going to see mayhem with some serious stoppages of travel.

Massive increases in flight fees at the airport.

My fuel for my turbo diesel is $3.18/gallon

It takes on average 13 minutes longer to get anywhere over a 10 mile span now because of the amount of cars on the road that busy up intersections/slow down and congest areas.

The days of getting up early on a saturday morning and driving the open road is a falsehood; cars and vehicles everywhere and activity at night is as common as a concrete sidewalk.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I agree...there is a major highway that runs through the town I grew up in and when I was 10 my friends and I would ride our bikes to the bridge that went over it at about 7-8:00 PM and see if we were able to see 2 cars on it at the same time...now it is nearly bumper to bumper 24/7/365

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
My answer to this problem.....

It has come to me ....the answer to global warming.....

in a dream last night...................

all we got to do is simply stop reproduceing....!!!!!

If some scientist would make a pill or put
something in the air or water that would totally kill
the sex drive of every male and female on the planet,
(just like my wife)

and no one wanted to make more humans at the rate
we are popping them out everywhere ...........

the planet would be saved......

that seems to be about the only thing about 80 % of the
people that inhabit the earth even know how to do.......

and we kow that they are not gonna stop doing that anytime soon........

so the planet Earth is gonna find another way to get rid of a whole bunch of us....

maybe that is what global warming is all about in the first place....

its all a numbers game.....
and theri are about 4 billion too many....

Molo

Reaction score
There are about 4 billion people to many who believe there are too many people.

This attitude is one of the most archaic and crude ones, that there are too many people.

Give yourself and other humans credit. We are problem-solving people, able to synthesize information, and find solutions. Perhaps we can find ways to improve lifestyles and living conditions before we begin with the scary, and sometimes oppressive, social-population control theories.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
perhaps we should study the problem further......

There are about 4 billion people to many who believe there are too many people.

This attitude is one of the most archaic and crude ones, that there are too many people.

Give yourself and other humans credit. We are problem-solving people, able to synthesize information, and find solutions. Perhaps we can find ways to improve lifestyles and living conditions before we begin with the scary, and sometimes oppressive, social-population control theories.

Well how many people do you think that the planet can
accomidate living at our present life-style???

If you watch the movie "an inconvienant truth"

that AL GORE did and got the nobel prize for he states about the same thing that about 500 years ago their were only about 500 million people on the entire planet...

now their are about 7 billion and the co2 levels on the earth are off the chart.......

Hey...AL GORE got the nobel prise for stateing the same

"archaic and crude idea " that I just posted this

morning...

perhaps with a little more tact, but I am ok with that....

As far as your opinoin that we can find solutioins and we
are great at synthesizeing information....
that is all analitical double talk and simply a way to delay and delay ever having to take action....

in other words ...horse shit,,,,

you are under the delusion that Technology will save us from ourselves if we simply sit back and wait long enough.........

you are also under the delusion that everyone on the whole planet can have the same life style that we have had for the last 50 years in the USA..

well guess what ........everyone on the planet wants what we have and is willing to do anything to get it.

so are we gonna just strip the planet bare so everyone can have this fantastic life-style????.

I dont think that the planet would like that too much...
and you really dont want to wake up MOTHER EARTH.......

most likely we are stareing at a future where their willl be a terrible war fought over the last barrel of oil to keep the economy of the winner intact.........

that is another way to decrease the populatioin ,
I suppose....

I like my idea better
and would rather take the pill or have it
put in the water system to reduce the populatioin

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I can't come up with anymore responses to this thread throw_a_brick_at_u.gif

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks