Glacier Bay Toilet - Manufacturers defects

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by ArtistMom, Oct 10, 2013.

1. ArtistMom

ArtistMom New Member

Has anyone else run into Manufacturing defects on glacier bay products. I purchased 2 glacier bay toilets on two separate occasions for the same project and both have manufacturers cracks on the bottom of the bowl that causes leaks when installed and flushed. I am trying to work this out with the manufacturer - Niagra Conservation - to no avail. They are not willing to stand behind their product and compensate me. Or even replace the toilet (which I have requested 4 times now) Although I'm not confident that a replacement will solve the problem. Any suggestions???

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2013
  2. dj2

dj2 Member

Toilet manufacturers won't cover cracks because they can't tell for sure that they are responsible for these cracks. The store you bought these toilets has better chance to return them to the manufacturers for a refund, so see the manager.
    Next time, open the box and inspect the toilet closely before opening your wallet.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I don't think anybody out there pays for damage. The expectation is that products are inspected before installation.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  4. ImOld

ImOld New Member

In case you aren't aware, Glacier Bay products are the bottom of the bath product line at Home Depot.

I have never heard of Niagara Conservation so I did a search.

Seems they're a recent Texas company selling their own brand of plumbing stuff.

So how did you end up with Glacier Bay instead of Niagara something?

If I bought a Glacier Bay product at Home Depot and had a problem, a return and replacement would be guaranteed.
  5. Terry

That didn't work for Sue. She tried to return a bad Glacier Bay toilet with the tilt tray and they wouldn't do it.
    The rinsing was horrible on it. It missed much of the bowl. :(

I replaced it with a TOTO Drake II with Sanagloss and she thinks the TOTO is like a self cleaning bowl. :) I had to laugh, mainly because the Glacier Bay had been that bad before that replacing with something that worked made her happy.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  6. ImOld

ImOld New Member

Other than the time, in the earliest days of Home Depot, that an assistant manager had to step between myself and the manager, I have had zero problems returning anything.

I have never returned a toilet but have returned a bathtub, bath and kitchen sinks, windows, refrigerator and probably most of what they sell, over the years.

Same for Lowes.

I would not shop at either of them otherwise.

Maybe I get special treatment because "ImOld";)
  7. Terry

I'm glad you love buying stuff from Home Depot, and then change your mind and return the stuff.
    The pros don't have time for that.

I realize that they take stuff back, and then it goes back on the shelf for the next customer.
    We pros have seen that too. Repackaged boxes that have been robbed. Toilets that were defective the first time they were purchased and resold again. Kinda don't have time for that nonsense.
    Where I buy from, that doesn't happen. If I bring something back, it's either all marked up with a pen, or smashed.

I also don't like the wobbley stuff they sell. I'm not a big fan of shims to install stuff.
    If you buy there, pull it out of the box and really look it over.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  8. ImOld

ImOld New Member

No offense on me:p but I have to agree with you 100%.:)