Getting Rid of Sewer Gas Smell

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by blakestranz, Feb 16, 2012.

1. blakestranz

blakestranz New Member

I've got a minor problem that's got me stumped:

I recently found a broken 90 degree elbow (3-inch) in my DWV system. Luckily, it served a guest bathroom, so there was very little water damage. I replaced the broken fitting and I'm ready to patch the drywall on the wall and ceiling. I've removed all the drywall that had evidence of moisture damage and sprayed down the area with a 50/50 solution of bleach and water. Still, there is a faint hint of stink in the joist bay that the pipe runs through.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of that lingering sewer gas smell in the area? Will it dissipate over time? Baking soda? Etc.

Thanks,
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Did you run water in the drain so the trap filled with water?
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  4. Hackney plumbing

Hackney plumbing Homeowner