Gerber toilets: Keep or replace?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sheila68

Reaction score
Hello! I have two Gerber toilets in my condo. I have had issues with them plugging up and am wondering if there is something I can do to make it so it doesn't plug up or if I need to throw in the towel and replace them. They read on the bowl "Gerber 1.6 gpf 6.0 Lpf (I think, it's a bit faded). Inside the tank of one I see K12-16-97-1-1 and in the other, K-8-22-964. The toilet I am possibly looking to replace them with is this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202597...alogId=10053&productId=202597486#.UdObk6zhdJk

I've heard good things about the American Standard, but I'd prefer to save money, if I can.

Thanks!

Champion Reviews

maxwell-round-toilet-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Is Renton in Terry Love's service area? I think it is. If so, you can order a toilet from him and have him install it. If I had Terry in my area, that's exactly that I would do, even though I have now installed multiple toilets myself with his Internet help.

Assuming that you have a standard vertical-discharge toilet on a 12" rough-in (the distance from the finished wall to the center of the bolts holding down the toilet), you have a lot of choices.

If you want a good, reliable, excellent-flushing toilet, for basically the same price as the Champion, look no further than the Toto original Drake, CST744S toilet, which Terry sells for $249-ish. We have two of them and love them. The Toto is going to have much better quality than the American Standard Champion, flush better, be easier to fix when the time comes, and operate quietly and effectlvely. You can look at Terry's Consumer Toilet report in the link above, and see the zillion complimentary reviews of the original Drake.

I would just give Terry a call tomorrow at the number above and discuss your needs with him. He is one of the best-known and most-respected plumbers in America, sells literally hundreds upon hundreds of toilets a year, and, lucky you, you have a chance to actually enjoy the quality of his knowledge and service.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terry certainly is in Terry's area. He is just of 405 and easy to get to. Just put his address in Map Quest and you will have no problems finding him. I did and I sure am not a fan of driving in the big city. His prices on Toto toilets can't be beat. Call him and take a drive. He's a great guy and fun to talk to besides getting a great price on a quality toilet.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Champion Reviews are here

Better than the Gerber you would be replacing.
I have a used one that we pulled out of a home sitting in the garage.
We tend to sell a lot more of the TOTO to be sure, but there are plenty that will be an improvement over the old Gerber.
If you want to spend less at the home center, you might look at the Cadet 3 or the Kohler Wellworth.

We also service the Renton area.
We recently installed two TOTO Drake II's in a condo there.

Sheila68

Reaction score
Not to be indelicate, but how do the TOTO's do with flushing? I want something that flushes EVERYTHING down with the first flush and no icky back ups.

By the way, the rough-in for one is 12", but the other is 10".

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I use the Drake for churches and resturants.
I've also seen them while golfing and skiing. It's considered a commerical toilet, which I just happen to install in homes as a first choice because a performance and the lack of noise.

The 12" rough can be a CST744S while the 10" would be a CST744SF.10

If you want to go with American Standard, they also make a 10" rough in their Cadet 3 line. I sell a few of those too.
Choices in 10" gets a little limited.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toto toilets are superb performers. For the 10" rough-in, you might want to consider one the Toto models that uses a 10" Unifit adapter. This adapter will only work on specific models of Toto, and no other manufacturer makes an adapter to do this. You just can't go wrong with any Toto toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks