Generals or specifics talks with John Whipple -- showers , waterproofing.......

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by eurob, Jan 4, 2014.

1. eurob

eurob In the trades

I copied some of the discussion here so it can continue more appropriately -- feels that way -- , without unrelated interference on other members posts and concerns .

Link can be found here -- http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?55096-Tile-detaching-from-Wedi-shower-pan -- .
  2. eurob

eurob In the trades

Shower flooding tests 018.jpg Photo reloaded as original post .

Actually this linear drain is the Schluter tile grate model . The materials used for waterproofing , besides Kerdi fix , have nothing to do with the Schluter's products . I don't mind not having their warranty since the leaks are on me . No leaks or water level drops for way past the 72hours , so I guess I can get your approval , right ? LOL

I've used twice the ACO linear drains , but I didn't like the non flanged one . Pretty difficult to properly do the waterproofing , but not impossible . Any waterproofing products can be used with success if are done right . If someone is looking for a specific warranty -- ex.manufacturer warranty -- , they should stick with only their recommendations addressed in their literature .
    The grate fits like a charm and easy to use or remove for future cleaning .

I've always use marked reference lines for monitoring the water levels on flood tests and don't like the coin measuring device . If the coin is tipped it may work better but I prefer the accuracy of marked lines to specific levels .

I wouldn't go into personal debates about other members -- on this site or other ones -- on personal level .

In fairness of giving you a sincere answer about John Bridge ....... from my experience being a member on JBF and after reading his posts -- not all of them -- I can say He is a smart , educated and fair person . I also like his writing style .....ok that's it , no more to follow on this subject .
  3. eurob

eurob In the trades

Hey John , could you tell me from the dozens of waterproofing showers you are doing every year how many of them are leaking -- during flood tests -- ? Just curious ....
  4. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

post(s) deleted

post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  5. johnfrwhipple

6. johnfrwhipple

7. johnfrwhipple

8. nukeman

nukeman Nuclear Engineer

Why do you think his plug is wrong? No-hub is just a connection style. If it doesn't leak, it is okay. The other style that you listed is needed in a traditional shower build and put bellow the weep holes. I really hope that you aren't trying to test the no-hub connection for leaks with this method. Plumbing code requires all DWV plumbing to be tested with a minimum of a 10ft water column (some piping can be tested with air instead, but it is generally not allowed with plastic piping).

BTW: I have both plug types..and yes, I flood tested the shower that I built, even though it isn't required. I was a bit surprised that they inspect the screw pattern for drywall (before you can mud/tape), but when I asked about the shower flood test, they said that they don't look at that.
  9. johnfrwhipple

10. eurob

eurob In the trades

You see John , my curiosity about your shower leaks -- test floods -- was only to understand why you keep doing it even if you don't have any leaks after years of waterproofing installations .

I created this thread to properly talk to you -- not over other members threads (concerns ) -- and the last time I checked all the threads are public . If you don't want me to use your name , I would ask -- if I cannot do it myself -- to be removed from the thread's name .

The linear drain in the photo has a 3'' long SS pipe attached to the channel from the manufacturer , so the plug used is a proper one . Leaks were not present , so I will give you a slack.

I am not using only Schluter products . If you are looking for an installer which uses only theirs products , I can say you have found the one . I am not worry about TTMAC and their awards don't even reflect 1% of the beauties and professional projects done every day by competent installers across Canada .

I was under the impression that you want me to participate in this forum and as I stated in the thread's name , it is my understanding of a proper communication . I regret that you see it ( assume ) that it is a confrontational one . Far from it .
  11. johnfrwhipple

12. eurob

eurob In the trades

Don't flatter yourself . Help is a big word and if I need one from you , definitely I would know how to ask for it .

It sees that everything else get to a personal level with you , cool your jets as some would say .
  13. johnfrwhipple

14. eurob

eurob In the trades

Yeah John , unfortunately looks that way -- p....m.....-- , not my intention at all .

I can only congratulate you on your stars , but if houzz allows you to comment and write about and include other members photos , that' fine with me . I really don't look forward to write about others projects , including their photos in my articles .

I will constantly look to improve myself and knowledge is one of my assets , at least what concerns tiles and stones installations . Not looking forward to a contest of statistical type . If I can help , really help 2 or 3 members , than I can say I accomplish what the membership to this forum really is all about .
  15. eurob

eurob In the trades

Provamat in showers

Does Provamat work in a shower as a waterproofing product ?
  16. guy48065

guy48065 New Member

[​IMG]

Some people are just cranks and make the forum less pleasant for the rest of us. It's better to simply ignore them than try to "out" them.