Garbage Disposal Plumbing, I'm stumped and needing help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Nope!
It's probably in the real world most of the time to thin to cut.
You can get a new plastic tailpiece and washer to round out the project.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
again, a plumber would use a straight tube out of the disposer into the tee. using the elbow of the continuous waste creates a connection that can come apart if it is hit.

frankis843

Reaction score
again, a plumber would use a straight tube out of the disposer into the tee. using the elbow of the continuous waste creates a connection that can come apart if it is hit.

Okay, that makes sense.
I can rotate the disposer right?
The current outlet doesn't point at the other drain...
So, I would take a straight tube out of the disposer to a "T" and have one tube going up out of the "T" to the drain and another down to the P trap?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just not familiar enough with all the available connections, tubes and fittings. I'd hate turn a two step process in to a six step process if possible.

frankis843

Reaction score
By the way that old blue/gray disposer you have has probably seen better days.
It's at least 10 years old and I doubt it has any grinding teeth left.
It is probably pushing unground waste into the line which will cause a clog, and fail altogether soon.
I recommend a new Insinkerator Evolution Series Disposer with a stainless steel grind chamber. The unit you have has galvanixed steel teeth and they only last about 4-5 years in most cases.

evolutionessential_med.jpg

Is there a big difference between the compact and essential models in your opinion?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You are almost there. Take the U part of the trap and flip it.
You will need to cut some of the tail piece coming down from the sink basket under the tee.
Make sure you have a baffle tee that forces water from the disposer downward.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
No, you have the tee at the right height now.
A baffle, is just that. A partition that divides the drain in two, one side for the drain above, and one side or partition for disposer outlet.
Otherwise when running the disposer, it can hit the tee and splash two directions, up and down.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Usually the baffle tees look like the one pictured below and they have a baffle built into the tee where the side inlet comes in forcing the flow of waste water to go downward.

8066662.jpg

BTW that new disposer looks good!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks