Garbage Disposal drain/waste pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Bobbi B

Reaction score
Garbage Disposal drain/waste pipes Pictures Posted

I need to replace an angle/elbow on my waste line from the garbage disposal out. Problem is that the PVC elbow's at local store are not as long as the galvanized/metal one I'm replacing. With 3 elbows and the trap, there are quite a few interesting turns to get to the actual waste exit. Do these elbow's come in different lengths? What I purchased today at the Depot is not working!

As a novice do-it-yourself'er, this seemed like an easy repair. Can I take the entire line of pipe from disposal to exit so I can try to match the same angles and turns? And do I just stick a rag in the waste pipe to keep sewer gases out of kitchen?

Thanks for the help. I've googled every option for replacing kitchen sink drain pipes, but nothing has show quite enough direction.

Last edited:

Bobbi B

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I agree with the more complicated than need be part! Now I have to figure out the female/male end thing! I will win! And learn something new to boot! (with your help of course!)

And btw, Thanks for the help!

Here's what it looks like:

veggies025.jpg
veggies024.jpg

Bobbi B

Reaction score
I was looking at turning the disposer so it was to the back, turning the 90 down and fitting to the trap.

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
Bobbi B said:
I was looking at turning the disposer so it was to the back, turning the 90 down and fitting to the trap.

Yes, it looks like you could swing both the disposal and the p-trap and line them up to make a connection.

Good luck.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
You can also push or pull the p-trap in or out of the nipple.

Don't match all the fittings. Connect as direct to the wall as you can.

I'd say that it's 50 50 that you can put a new continuous and washer on the outlet of your disposal and not have a leak because of deterioration of the casting at the back of the disposal......You may just need to change the disposal too.

You should also replace the bad stuff on the other drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks