Funky-ish odor in kitchen sink

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by CindyJ, Jul 8, 2014.

1. CindyJ

CindyJ Member

About 3 months ago, we had a kitchen renovation completed. Included in the renovation were a new double-bowl sink and new dishwasher. The new sink is about 24" from where the old sink was situated, so the sink plumbing was shifted accordingly.

About two weeks after all was completed, I started noticing a strange odor at the sink. This odor did not exist before the renovation. It doesn't smell like rotten food and it doesn't smell like a decaying animal. It's hard to describe it except to say it's mildly funky. At first I thought it was coming from the dishwasher, but I notice it even when the dishwasher is closed. Another thing I should mention is that after the water has been running for a short while, I no longer notice it. Maybe my sense of smell is just adapting to it, but it seems to go away when the water runs. It might be relevant to mention that I do not have an under-sink garbage disposal.

Can anyone help me identify the likely source of this odor? And, more importantly, help me get rid of it. Thanks!
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

See if http://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/swampy-sulfur-smell-from-upstairs-faucets.57569/ helps.

Maybe run a quart of hot and a quart of cold into separate containers. Take them away from the sink. Smell each container, or better yet, get a young nose to smell. If there is a difference in smells, look to the plumbing. If the problem is more with the hot, you could try raising the hot water heater temperature for a while. Then run hotter than normal water slowly from the tap. Then put the water heater temperature back to normal. If you have a tempering valve, that could prevent extra-hot water from making it to the faucet.

It could also be the sink trap. A little bleach solution down the drain slowly could help that. Does your sink stopper leak just a little? If so, put about 1 gallon of water into each stoppered bowl of your sink. Put a tablespoon of liquid chlorine bleach into each bowl. That corresponds to a little over 200 ppm chlorine. Stir with a spoon etc. Let the water trickle down the drains. If the bowls have not emptied in an hour, help it along. Avoid holding your hand in the bleach water. If you do get the solution on your skin, probably no reaction will occur, but rinsing in a different sink would be reasonable.

I wonder if your city water does not have residual chlorine by the time that it hits the kitchen faucets. Particularly the hot line might be almost chlorine-free. I don't think I have heard that discussed. With a well, people routinely disinfect their pipes and faucets if they sanitize their wells (after well work, and for some people maybe biannually). Some high sensitivity chlorine strips, such as a pool store would have, could check for that. Note that this is not normal test, but I think I would do it if I had musty smells coming out of the faucet. I am not a pro. I don't think this is standard advice. I have a well that I have sanitized. Whoopee.
  3. presence

presence New Member

I suspect you have something in your trap; some eggs or something. Fill the sink to the top... then let it drain out to flush your trap clear.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Did you install deeper sinks?
    Can you post a 800 pixel or less picture of how it's connected?
  5. CindyJ

CindyJ Member

The new sinks are pretty much an updated version of what I had previously. My husband thinks it might have something to do with where the dishwasher is connected in relation to where the trap is. I hope this photo gives you a good idea of the plumbing configuration.

And FWIW, we have well water with an inline filter and a septic system.

Attached Files:

6. Smooky

Smooky Member

7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Your S-Trap is siphoning.
    Also, the dishwasher needs to be installed with either a high loop, or an air gap. Right now, with some dishwashers, the sink can backflow into your dishwasher. Yuch! :(

Here is a small sink with an AAV for venting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sink drain is run with 2", and the p-trap is 1.5"
    The AAV is higher than the trap arm.
  8. CindyJ

CindyJ Member

Thanks so much! This is all very helpful.