Fridge Water Line Connection

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by bobloblaw, May 17, 2010.

1. bobloblaw

bobloblaw New Member

I have 1/4 inch PEX to the rear of the fridge. How do I connect the PEX to the fridge fitting which is a 1/4 inch copper compression fitting?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The make an insert that prevents pex from crushing when used in a compression fitting. The insert goes inside the pex.
  3. bobloblaw

bobloblaw New Member

Hi Terry,

The problem i have is the OD of 1/4 inch PEX is 3/8. The fridge compression fitting is for 1/4 od copper. So I need to transition from the PEX to either 1/4 inch copper or 1/4 inch stainless flex line. I should note that I need an additional 4 feet of line from the end of the PEX to the fridge

Bob
  4. bpetey

bpetey Member

why not install an icebox valve in the wall then connect the fridge line to that. you can find a plastic box with valve at any big box store for about 25.00, then you can shut the water off at the fridge if you ever need to move it.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The icebox connection is the way to go all right.
    Get the one with the water hammer arrestor, otherwise the tubing will be moving quite a bit everytime the ice tray finishes filling.

[​IMG]
  6. bobloblaw

bobloblaw New Member

I like the ice box connection but the walls are built.

I should have mentioned the 1/4 inch PEX is coming from a 3/8 OD compression ball valve at the sink. The fridge is 10 feet away. Brass Craft list an ice maker connector 240 inches long with a 3/8 compression x 1/4 compression connectors Part Number B1-240IM. This connector would solve my problem but calls to three plumbing supply houses and Brass Craft brought no joy. Anybody know where i might get this part?

Bob
  7. asktom

asktom Member

This may also be difficult to locate, but another option is an adapter from 3/8" female compression to 1/4" compression. The Larsen number is 17-6754, but may also be available from other distributers. You could also change the valve under the sink to one with a 1/4" compression outlet.
  8. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

Or you could just get a 3/8" comp. X 1/4" comp. Brass union and connect the two ! !

But be sure to use the inserts TERRY posted about ! !
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

A 3/8 x 1/4 compression union/coupling, and a 60" 1/4x1/4 stainless steel flexible connector and a 1/4 x 1/4 compression coupling at the refrigerator.
  10. jimdeprado

jimdeprado New Member

Icemaker box

Where would I get one of these. I have checked all of the big box stores around and none of them have the one with the hammer arrestors.

Thanks,

Jim

11. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx