Fluidmaster Toilet Bowl Cleaning System in Toto Dalton?

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveT

Reaction score
Can the Fluidmaster 8300P8 Flush 'N' Sparkle Toilet Bowl Cleaning System be used in Toto toilets?

I have 3 Toto's in my recently purchased house [not sure of the model], and just as in my previous house where I installed a Toto Dalton, they flush beautifully but bowl wash terribly. I am constantly cleaning the bowl sides, and very quickly get black build-up along the water line.

I realize that the Toto fill valves in my toilets don't utilize the refill tube and the outlet is blocked. I believe that the Fluidmaster System connects to the refill outlet. Can I drill out the plastic seal on the outlet and use the Fluidmaster System to - hopefully - improve the bowl situation?

Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will need to replace the fill valve on the Dalton. The Dalton fill valve doesn't have the fill tube for the overflow and bowl refill.

cst733f-01.jpg

Last edited:

DaveT

Reaction score
I decided that I had nothing to lose by attempting to modify the standard Toto Fill Valve for the Fluidmaster cleaning system. At worst, I would have to replace the Fill Valve anyway.

I used a drill bit the size of the refill fitting ID [don't recall what it was offhand] and turned it by hand a few times in the hole to "mark" the center of the hole into the plastic sealing the refill outlet. I then used a 3/32" bit and carefully drilled through that plastic seal. I chose that size somewhat arbitrarily, thinking 1/16" was a very small and flimsy bit, and that I could go up from 3/32" if required. I then installed the Fluidmaster as directed.

It works just fine! And using the bleach version of the Fluidmaster does reduce the amount of sidewall cleaning that I have to do. The literature says it has a chemical that improves the "wetting" of the surface so that the water spreads better. And the bleach tends to keep the black build-up from growing. I'll observe it to determine if I have to enlarge the hole to get more flow.

I think it was worth doing.

juror58

Reaction score
Dave -

I don't know what the Toto flapper valve seals are made of, but on ordinary flapper valves bleach will tend to eat up the seats and eventually they will leak. I gave up on in-tank cleaners containing bleach years ago, and no more leaking flappers. (And since my Toto has a 3" flapper, replacing it requires more than a trip down to HD.)

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
That's the nice thing about this Fluidmaster Flush 'N' Sparkle thing. It releases the chlorine down the over-flow pipe directly into the bowl. No chlorine is released into the tank...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks