Floor drain in my mechanical room

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by murley, Jun 11, 2013.

1. murley

murley Certified Idiot

I will be installing a tankless water heater that will NOT be located in my mechanical room. There will, however, be a furnace, clothes washer, and sink.

Do I still need a floor drain for the mechanical room? (condensation drain from furnace or in case of washer failure)

Thanks again!
  2. speede541

speede541 Member

I'm glad you're thinking about it.

My architect left me with a basement mechanical room with no floor drain, no provision for a condensate drain (have to run a wall-mounted pipe around half the room to tie in elsewhere), an no connecting walls for my boiler and clothes dryer breather/exhaust ducts (bends everywhere). I didn't know any better, and my general didn't catch it, either.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Many of the newer furnaces need a condensate drain, as do many tankless water heaters. You may be able to drain those either at the sink or the washer. In fact it's mentioned in the tankless instructions that the washer is a preferred place to drain because it counters the acidic water coming from the tankless.