Fleck valve questions

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by cruisecontrol49, Jan 10, 2013.

1. cruisecontrol49

cruisecontrol49 New Member

Good Day to all,

I am trying to rehab a Fleck 5600 econo. I found a new main valve, and a brine valve, in some old plumbing yard sale boxes. I need to know if these valves will work as replacements for the original valves. The new valves look identical to the old one's except for the color. The original valves are green, the new main valve is gray and the new brine valve is black.

thanks for your time and knowledge
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Color alone won't tell you anything.
  3. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

Photos of the current valve and some photos of that you found.
    Then we will have an idea as to what is going on.
    I know that there are green end plugs for the pistons of the 5600 and then there are black, white.... and I think a gray... so some photos would really help.
  4. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

..... yeah it does, especially since he is talking about the main piston and brine piston.
  5. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

The green is a standard piston and the gray is a water saver piston IIRC. It will work fine.
  6. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

Piston cap
    Grey = low water use, good for municipal or clean water supplies. Required in some areas for water efficiency
    White = standard, the most common in use. Good for well or municipal, uses more water during regeneration
    black = greensand or filter valve.

Piston rod color has changed over theyears depending on the teflon manufacturer. Same goes for the brine valve color. The teflon coating color does not indicate anything. Be sure to carefully check the length of the brine valve, that design is used on many valves and the length can vary, it is very common for people to put in one that s too long or too short.
  7. cruisecontrol49

cruisecontrol49 New Member

I tried to load some pics but wasn't having much luck. I finally got the phone number of a reputable pro...he's coming Monday with some other parts that I need for the control head.

thanks for all your replies... I really appreciate your help.