Fleck 5600 3/4" with 1" main line

Users who are viewing this thread

Timzerofive

Reaction score
I have a system with a fleck 5600 econominder that we was installed in our old house about 3 years ago. The system has a 3/4" connector.

We just moved to our new home that has a 1" main supply line.

I'm contemplating doing the installation myself but is wondering if by running the 1" main line into a 3/4" softener system will affect our water pressure throughout the house?

If it will adversely affect our water pressure, will I need to purchase a whole new water softener or can I somehow switch out the head assembly to a 1" system?

Reach4

Reaction score

Timzerofive

Reaction score
Thank you.
Our old and new home has similar size and number of baths/faucets...etc so the 20GPM should be sufficient, so I'm not looking to get a new system.

The fear was that going from a 1" into a 3/4" then back out to 1" would reduce the water pressure dramatically.

In terms of changing out bypass valve to a 1" unit, would I also need to find a meter that is 1"? The current meter on the system (and in all parts catalogue) is 3/4" and I cannot find a 1" replacement.

Would a 1" bypass fit onto a 3/4" meter?

I was actually thinking having a reducer (shark bite) converting the 1" pipe into a 3/4" on the inlet side then vice versa on the outlet. Would that work?

Bannerman

Reaction score
so the 20GPM should be sufficient,

While the valve itself may have a maximum rating at 20 GPM, likely when using a 1" or larger bypass and yolk, that does not signify the GPM the softener can soften without permuting hardness bleedthrough. As the Fleck 5600 is rated as a softener for up to a 12" tank size, that signifies your softener is 2 cu/ft (64,000 grains) or less.

I understand the US National Building Code requires the plumbing to a softener cannot be reduced outside of the device. While there maybe some restriction internally, the 1" Bypass and Yolk are available to keep the softener connections consistent with your home's plumbing so as to comply with the USNBC.

As the meter is a component to the softener, it should not need to be replaced. The Softener Parts listing for the SS bypass, specifically states that it will clamp directly to a 3/4" meter module so I expect the plastic bypass and either Yoke would also.

Timzerofive

Reaction score
Ok to throw a wrench in the whole thing I realized our main line is not 1" but 1-1/4"!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 577

Reach4

Reaction score
Your fire sprinkler system doesn't go through the softener. So don't worry about the bit of 3/4 piping.

justaHO

Reaction score
I just saw this and was going to say that if your service is 1" your line MUST be 1-1/4" copper. I don't know how many times I've seen DIY'ers mistake this...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks