Flange Ringer and concrete level question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by gopokes65, May 28, 2011.

1. gopokes65

gopokes65 New Member

Posted here a couple weeks back about a rusted ringer on a closet toilet flange. I removed the metal ringer and chiseled out the bad concrete and then replaced it with hydraulic cement. My question is does it matter how much of a gap I leave between the new ringer and the concrete? I probably have about 1/2 inch gap between the new ringer and the new concrete. Will this matter? I am concerned that if I don't have this gap that I won't be able to install the new ringer as it is a tight fight with some of the surround granite tiles. Thanks for the input in advance.

-Kyle
    Last edited: May 28, 2011
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I'm not sure what you are saying...
    Can you post a Pic please?
  3. gopokes65

gopokes65 New Member

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If I had gone to that much trouble, I would have removed the entire old flange and installed a new one. From the picture it appears you should not have a problem, BUT it depends on what kind of flange you are going to use with what you have there.
  5. gopokes65

gopokes65 New Member

oatey moss bay replacement flange
    Last edited: May 28, 2011
  6. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Is this the one? mossbay.jpg
  7. gopokes65

gopokes65 New Member

yes. But I just talked to another buddy who is a master plumber and he said go ahead and fill it up another half inch and then set the ring in the concrete.
  8. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

That would be OK but anchor the flange to the cement with some SS screws.
  9. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If you just need to hold closet bolts, then I like these red rings. You can drill farther out.

[​IMG]
  10. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I usually just put the flange on, then put the screws in place and pour in the cement...

Done!
  11. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I have had toilets which that red ring would NOT fit into the recess in the bottom. The two lugs where the closet bolts fit stick out too far, and the toilet sits on top of them.
  12. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I've had the same experience...