Fixing Kohler Bath and Shower Values

Users who are viewing this thread

zyxba

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some help with these old Kohler values? I have a small leak somewhere in the wall and don't have access to it. My guess is that one of the values is leaking behind the escutcheon.

How do I remove the escutcheons to gain access to the valves? There are no set screws on them. Also, once removed, how are they reinstalled so no water gets behind them?

KohlerValve1.jpgKohlerValve2.jpg

Thanks in advance

Barney

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't think they are Kohler, but you will see when you get the stems out. The trim just unscrews.

You can see a fairly neat bead of caulk where the escutcheon hits the wall. You can do it better. Put a bead on the inner edge and turn it on. Once it is snugged to the wall, use a wet finger and a damp paper towel to clean out all which squeezed out. You will end up nice and neat.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
With those handles, Kohler usually put their name around the screw on them, so these may not be Kohler faucets, but there is no way to be sure until you see the actual stem.

zyxba

Reaction score
Thanks, I got the escutcheons off. I figured they spun off, but they were on there pretty good so I wanted to make sure.

I think they are Kohler based on the name on the handle.

KohlerValve3.jpg

All three of these leak a bit around the stem. Is there a specific type of packing or washer that needs to be used or is cord packing used? I don't think I can get the entire valve off without damaging them or something behind the wall. They don't leak when they are off.

KohlerValve4.jpg

Thanks again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks