Fiberglass Shower, No Tile, Sheetrock?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by ScottTENN, Sep 11, 2009.

1. ScottTENN

ScottTENN New Member

I have a basement bathroom that will probably not get near as much traffic as any of the upper story bathrooms. It has a shower, 36"x36", toilet and sink. Everything is still at a rough in stage except that the fiberglass shower has been installed.

Everything I have read talks about what to use if you tile above the fiberglass shower walls. I don't want any tile on the walls. I have read that standard sheetrock is best for the ceiling of the shower for structural reasons. True? Can I just use sheetrock on the walls above the shower or do I need a greenboard or cement board type product? Vapor barrier always? We are talking about maybe 18" from the shower wall lip to the ceiling. The shower head is installed several inches above the fiberglass walls. I'm a tall guy and I didn't want to have to stoop when I use the shower.

If I have to use a water resistant material...All that I have seen are very course, something for tile to stick too. What product do I use to get a smooth side so I can paint it?

Also does the entire bathroom have to be done in a water resistance wall material? Can I just use standard 1/2" sheetrock for the bathroom walls?

Thanks.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You should be able to use regular drywall in the bathroom above the surround and on the rest of the walls and ceiling. The key to making it all work is a good paint and ventilation.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Just be sure you caulk well where the sheetrock meets the stall. I'd leave about 1/8" or so space between the bottom edge of the rock and the fiberglass so you can force caulk under the rock.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

shower

Use greenboard. It will be better protection against the moisture that is bound to be in that area.
  5. Cass

Cass Plumber

What I would do is cement board for the first course above the base then green board for the rest of the shower...most problems originate where the base and tile meet...if you use cement board, thin set, and tile on the first course you should never have a problem other than regrouting...
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Greenboard used to be code for bathrooms in some places. Now, it is no longer the case because they found out it didn't make any difference. If you are worried about it, consider something like Denshield. The shower should be waterproof up to at least the level of the showerhead. If that means tile, you should go that way.