ENT Bushings - Are they required?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by seaneys, Aug 11, 2007.

1. seaneys

seaneys New Member

Hello,

I'm in an area that requires conduit. I've always used plastic insulating bushings on all threaded fittings (inside of boxes). Over the past few weeks I have noticed that both of my big box stores have stopped carrying them.

I paniced a little, then decided to dig through the 2005 NEC. I do not see that they are required.

Are these things really required? Do I really need them?

Halex P/N 75205B is a sample in case you do not know what I am referring to.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

300.4(F) requires that ungrounded conductors #4 AWG and larger " . . shall be protected by a substantial fitting providing a smoothly rounded insulating surface, unless the conductors are separated from the fitting or raceway by substantial insulating material that is securely fastened in place."

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. seaneys

seaneys New Member

Ahhh.. Just to make sure I am clear.

So I am using the typical application of 6 or 7 pieces of 12ga wire in 1/2" ENT the bushings are technically not needed. If I were pulling a 4 ga or larger wire (subpanel, etc), however, I would need to use them.

Thanks,
    Steve

5. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

That's correct. For example, you can run as many #12 as you can get through a 1/2" metal offset nipple because even the fill requirements don't apply.