electrical supply proximity to propane line?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by HockeyFan, Feb 26, 2008.

1. HockeyFan

HockeyFan New Member

I'm curious how far away an electrical supply line to a house needs to be from a propane line. I will be checking with my electrician, but I'm doing some planning right now and am curious what my options are going to be.
  2. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

The propane company will have FAR stricter requirements that the NEC.
    From an electric standpoint you just need to maintain clearances to equipment.
    The cable can pass right behind the tank and right along the pipe for all we care.
  3. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

I think it's something like 2-4 feet away from most problematic objects. Why don't you call the propane company and ask? They'll tell ya ;)
  4. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

I have electrical, water, telephone, cable and propane all in one 4 inch ditch. There is nothing in the NEC that says this is a violation.
  5. HockeyFan

HockeyFan New Member

I'm mainly curious if there are any restrictions with regards to proximity at the location were the utilities enter the house.
  6. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Not per the NEC