Electric water heater & well water

Users who are viewing this thread

Cudos

Reaction score
I have to install a electric water tank in my cabin. My well water has approx .09 ppm of iron. Will the iron destroy the water tank much sooner than normal? also if anyone has any suggestions please feel free. What about tankless electric, would that be a better fit with well water.

Thanks

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
.09ppm??? I think you mean 0.9.

Iron doesn't help extend the life of you W.H. so I think its safe to say it probably hurts it. Not so much you need to worry about buying a new W.H. every couple of years though. I'd say you would need to flush it every few months, but maybe not. If you go to flush it and the water runs clear you can wait longer.

That said stay away from tankless unless you plan on doing something about the iron. Also tankless electrics aren't really practical in most areas because of the large electrical requirements.

-rick

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I have to install a electric water tank in my cabin. My well water has approx .09 ppm of iron. Will the iron destroy the water tank much sooner than normal? also if anyone has any suggestions please feel free. What about tankless electric, would that be a better fit with well water.
Unless the iron is ferric red water iron (rust), it is ferrous clear water dissolved iron and it probably will not come out of solution in the water heater, of any type.

The .09 may or may not cause rust stains on surfaces where the water is allowed to evaporate but hardness content is much more critical than iron in that amount; Especially with a tank less heater. All tank less heaters come with a maximum allowable hardness content requirement.

A water softener is used to remove hardness, and iron. If look into a softener, I suggest one with a Clack WS-1 control valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks