Dual Sink plumbing in....couple questions, though

Users who are viewing this thread

J Blow

Reaction score
Here's what I have going on right now...does anything see something obviously wrong?

20150117_154825.jpg

One question I do have is the long sweep quarter turn going around the corner. It feels like it's a different material and slides in and out of the pipe easily before glued....it's the longest one in the picture. Is it even necessary or does the other one in the middle work just fine for what I'm doing?

20150117_154955.jpg

Finally a venting question - would it be ok stack this configuration for venting purposes? Can't see why not but then again, things aren't always obvious to me. Thanks!

20150117_154835.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Where the pipe turns down, you have a "vent" 90
That should be a "medium" 90
Where the medium 90 turns in the corner, that should be a long turn 90

2" for two lavs into a 2.0"x 1.5x 1.5x 1.5 fixture cross.
The 90's pointing out toward the lavs can be medium 90's

J Blow

Reaction score
Where the pipe turns down, you have a "vent" 90
That should be a "medium" 90
Where the medium 90 turns in the corner, that should be a long turn 90

2" for two lavs into a 2.0"x 1.5x 1.5x 1.5 fixture cross.
The 90's pointing out toward the lavs can be medium 90's

I think the corner is a long 90...at least that's how it was labeled when purchased. I included a pic of the one used there...it's the longest one. Is the other a medium assuming the smallest is the venting 90 referenced...?

J Blow

Reaction score
Also, a few fittings seem to fit much looser than many others...some are labeled simply pvc where others are pvc-i....does it matter?

Reach4

Reaction score
Also, a few fittings seem to fit much looser than many others...some are labeled simply pvc where others are pvc-i....does it matter?
I don't know what PVCI fittings are. Are they white or some other color?

Looser is not good. None of the fittings should be loose, since they are tapered such that there is an interference fit. 2 inch schedule 40 and SDR /foamcore should have 2.375 OD on the pipes, and the fittings should not bottom out when dry-fit.

J Blow

Reaction score
I don't know what PVCI fittings are. Are they white or some other color?

Looser is not good. None of the fittings should be loose, since they are tapered such that there is an interference fit. 2 inch schedule 40 and SDR /foamcore should have 2.375 OD on the pipes, and the fittings should not bottom out when dry-fit.

Hmmm...these definitely bottom out when dry fitting but they also aren't incredibly loose - just more loose than others I've used. I'm not sure what to say other than these are the ones pictures above. Seems like they all came from a plumbing supply store so I'm a little lost.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hmmm...these definitely bottom out when dry fitting but they also aren't incredibly loose - just more loose than others I've used. I'm not sure what to say other than these are the ones pictures above. Seems like they all came from a plumbing supply store so I'm a little lost.

I would take a piece of pipe, including the markings, and the fittings back to your plumbing supply store. Ask them what the deal is.

I know there are differences between schedule 40 and some alternative drain pipe in the 4 inch size, but I was thinking the ODs were the same in the 2 inch size.

Maybe take a caliper to your pipe to see if it is indeed 2.375 inches OD.

J Blow

Reaction score
Ok, here's is the best I can do....wondering if I even need a vent for a bar sink as it will run about 10 feet to the 3" main which is very close to the tub/shower drain in the not so great drawing. If I do need a vent for a bar sink, I'm wondering if the 3 things can all come together using the configuration of joints I've pictured above. Thanks.

20150120_100719.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The bar sink can't dump into the lav or tub vent.

And what do you mean by "capped" vent?

A trap on 1.5" needs to be vented within 42"

J Blow

Reaction score
Capped vent was a dumb term to use...It's just a capped stub hanging down from the ceiling.

I think you are saying since I'm going to run 10 feet to the main to drain that I need to vent the bar sink...so I guess what I'm asking is what it's the best way to tie 3 vent lines into the single existing stub. Can I use the configuration above where I have the 90 into the bottom below 2 lines that vent into the sides of the stub?

J Blow

Reaction score
The picture I'm referring to about venting is above...with 3 fittings stacked together. Thanks all.

J Blow

Reaction score
If there any water going into those three fittings?

No, these are strictly vents. The vent stub hanging from the ceiling will use these three fittings to bring together vents from the shower/tub, the dual lav, and the bar sink....which are all in the basement. The vent pipe hanging down is significantly higher than water could flow naturally.

Reach4

Reaction score
Does your capped pipe look a bit like one of these?
huge4.jpg
huge3.jpg

J Blow

Reaction score
But, ya, similar to the second one if I recall correctly. It's just hanging down a foot and a half or so from the floor line above.

Reach4

Reaction score
You might want to test for radon before you get rid of what may be provisions for radon remediation.

J Blow

Reaction score
You might want to test for radon before you get rid of what may be provisions for radon remediation.

Well, it's right in line with where I would assume vents are from above...and plumbing from below. Guess I don't know a thing about radon remediation, though. It looks similar to these two pipes - especially the second, in the way it's capped, I believe.

40767d1342753056-can-use-capped-pipe-basement-bath-vent-vent2.jpg
rb-metal-framing1-013.jpg

J Blow

Reaction score
Is there any reason I can't use a double fixture tee for a vent...to combine 3 vented lines into a single vent line?

4835-B.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks