dual flush with 14" rough-in?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by inthefog, Aug 10, 2007.

1. inthefog

inthefog New Member

we just had a Toto Aquia dual flush installed and it's so great we want to put one in the other bathroom. the problem is that bathroom (the original in this 1936 house) has a 14" rough-in.

so, is there a dual flush with a 14" rough-in or should we use the Aquia with the 12" and put in a "backing" (which is what the plumber said is an option)?
    btw, what exactly is a "backing" -- is it any piece of wood to bridge the gap or is it something specfic for toilets?

thanks
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

There is no reason to block behind any toilet.
    If you have a 14", that just means there is 2" more inches behind the toilet. No harm there.
  3. inthefog

inthefog New Member

does that mean there is not a dual flush with a 14" rough-in
    or that you would recommend the Aquia with the 12" rough-in and just leave an extra 2" behind it?

thx
  4. Peanut9199

Peanut9199 Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale

Most Toto Uni-fit's are available in 14" but Aquia is not.
    The backing would be a extention of the wall and it would look nicer than a 2" gap behind the toilet.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I dunno, a gap means you might be able to paint back there without pulling the toilet...all a matter of choice.
  6. HDFAN1

HDFAN1 New Member

I'm with jadnashua! Since having the closet bend replacet from lead to pvc, I some how went from a 12" to a 14" rough in. I am just going to put in an Ultramax and forget the gap.