Dual CSV

Users who are viewing this thread

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
did this project this spring. 10 acre estate with two wells serving the irrigation system. A 5 hp and 3 hp together making 130 gpm give or take.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 256
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 241
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 243
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 258

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That is a beautiful installation. I would normally say you have one more pressure tank than you need. But being as they are Pentair Pro Source brand tanks it is probably a good idea. I have found that where the Pro Source tank has a 1 1/4" elbow for connection at the bottom, the hole size for water getting into the tank is about 3/4" with a screen over it. This means the 3/4" inlet to the tank can't accept water as fast as an 1 1/4" line can send it, and it will make the pressure switch bounce. By splitting the one tank feed line into two tanks, it may not bounce the pressure switch.

You can use just one tank on a system like this, it just needs to be a tank with a large opening. Pro Source is the only brand I know of that has the restricted inlet.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
Pro-Source tanks use to label their tanks on what size the tank was equivalent to by a standard tank.

For example, a PS42 was equivalent to a 42gal standard tank. Now, they go by a PS19 tank.

You can find one that has a Sta-Rite sticker above the Pro-Source sticker as well.

Attachments

• WP_20160809_14_15_26_Rich.jpg
    WP_20160809_14_15_26_Rich.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 199
  • WP_20160809_14_15_44_Rich.jpg
    WP_20160809_14_15_44_Rich.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Pro-Source tanks use to label their tanks on what size the tank was equivalent to by a standard tank.

For example, a PS42 was equivalent to a 42gal standard tank. Now, they go by a PS19 tank.

I don't care what they call them, I call them a POS. The extra small opening in the tank causes the pressure switch to bounce as the tank cannot accept water as fast as it can come in on the 1 1/4" line. When I use them with a Cycle Stop Valve on larger systems (100+ GPM) they also cannot dump water fast enough, which causes a complete loss of pressure before the pump starts. On larger systems, when a large zone comes on, a WellXTrol can dump 100+ GPM and get the pump started as quickly as needed. The Prosource can only dump about 20 GPM, which makes the pressure fall off to nothing a few seconds before the pump comes on.

I have also talked to customers who say they have had a problem with the pressure switch bouncing with Pro Source tanks, even when only using a 20 GPM pump. So the opening cannot even accept 20 GPM as fast as it needs to.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I have not witnessed these issues on this system. They seem to do what they are supposed to. Maybe because there are two.

Yeah I am pretty sure the two tanks are helping with this issue. You actually taught me something new to try the next time I have a bouncing pressure switch on a Pro Source tank.
Thanks
Cary

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
You can have that problem too when burying a big PSC tank next to the well head, with lets say a 5hp 25gpm pump with a pressure switch in the well head. You fix this problem by sensing the water flow pressure at the tank not in drop pipe where you have that fast sudden surge from that big pump. It's fine on a smaller 10gpm pump but not on the bigger pump because it will bounce the pressure switch just like you said.

This is how we fixed ours, if it helps any.

Attachments

• WP_20160804_11_58_24_Rich.jpg
    WP_20160804_11_58_24_Rich.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 195

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With the Pro Source tank I don't think the bouncing pressure switch has anything to do with the horsepower of the pump, only the flow rate. The opening in that tank cannot accept 20+ GPM without bouncing the pressure switch. This is why the 10 GPM pumps don't bounce the switch while the 25 GPM pump does. I think it would happen with a 2HP as well if it was a 25 GPM series or more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks