Dripping sound behind bath wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob Gall

Reaction score
I have a one-piece shower with the tub. Today I noticed a dripping sound behind the wall, and it wasn't coming from the drain. I turned off the shut off valve on the cold and hot water and the dripping went away. When I turned them back on there was no dripping sound. I bought the house about 2 weeks ago and replaced all the fixtures: shower head, faucet, overflow plate, mixet cartridge/assembly, diverter tub spout. There was no water coming from the tub spout, where the water would default to if the valve was opened. I noticed a leak from the faucet (that connects to the shower head) a couple days after I replaced that, but turned it another notch and it no longer leaked. Not sure what's going on.

I also noticed last week that there was a urine smell coming from the bathtub waste/overflow area, when I swapped the plate. Not sure if that has anything to do it with all this.

Last edited:

Bob Gall

Reaction score
No takers? I haven't heard the dripping sound come back, however, the urine smell still exists. I tried vinegar and baking soda on the drain and overflow.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the tub has a p-trap, there shouldn't be a smell. I don't normally ever get that question.
And the dripping has stopped. Are you sure it wasn't the 35 minutes of dripping from the shower arm piping that you get anytime you turn off the water after taking a shower?

Bob Gall

Reaction score
To be honest I only hear the dripping in the morning, more than 12 hours since our last shower, it's intermittent as it will stop for a bit when I'm listening. Just kind of worried stuff could be rotting/mold behind the shower. Maybe the smell is attributed to the dripping?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If you have a single handle shower faucet take the wall plate off and look inside the wall cavity for moisture. If there is a leak between the valve body and the shower head when the shower is on, you should see or feel for water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks