Drilling a well. Going to need alot of advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnny Turner

Reaction score
Rig up about a 3/4 HP, 10 GPM submersible to run on a generator. Drop it down on a piece of 1" poly pipe. Then you can clean out and test the well to see what you have. Even if you have to valve it down to 1 GPM to keep it running, that is 1440 gallons per day to pump to the house.

Question about this pump would it just be able to pump water up from the well or could it handle pushing it the 700 ft to a tank as well?also how would it handle any leaf and dirt particles?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Dirt will pass right through the pump. Leaves will block the suction screen. I suggested the ¾ HP instead of a ½ HP so it would have plenty of pressure to push water all the way to the house, but you still have to size the underground line large enough for the flow rate test of the well.

Johnny Turner

Reaction score
what size storage tank would you recommend and could you give me a link to a good one?Also what do you think of this submersible pump here.

http://http://www.****.com/itm/Water-Sentry-Franklin-Electric-Submersible-Well-Pump-3-4-HP-2-Wire-Ground-230V-/131051320158?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8344735e

This is on eaby wont let me post the link here.

Also some question about the gas generator I would need.It would have to be 220v right?They seem a little pricey for one any ideals on this on what I would need?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Rent a generator just to test the well. And yes use a 230 volt pump/motor and generator. Then see how much the well will produce before figuring a storage tank. If the well will make 5 or 10 GPM, you may not need a storage tank, just a little pressure tank. If the well only makes 1 or 3 GPM, then you will need about a 1000 gallon storage tank with an extra booster pump and pressure tank.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Call me cheap, but you can probably find a guy with a hoist truck with a sandline and bailer to come in and bail the well for a few hundred bucks. Bailing the well will clean the crap out of it and prove the yield of the well without having to spend a bunch of money for a pump, pipe and wire along with a generator.

Reach4

Reaction score
Call me cheap, but you can probably find a guy with a hoist truck with a sandline and bailer to come in and bail the well for a few hundred bucks. Bailing the well will clean the crap out of it and prove the yield of the well without having to spend a bunch of money for a pump, pipe and wire along with a generator.

Here is a video of somebody using compressed air to blow junk out of a well. Is that similar?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYCOkkjUmpQ looks interesting...

I suspect that well was a lot more shallow.

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
It takes a pretty good sized compressor to lift water like that, probably 180 cfm give or take, plus you have to buy a string of rigid pipe to run down to the bottom of the hole. Not too mention a lot of time and expense renting a compressor, fuel, screwing around hooking everything up, chasing for some odd fittings.......

Johnny Turner

Reaction score
ok so this looks to be a costly endeavor and my dad has me worried he said the water was hit at 40 feet so he thinks what`s in the hole is pretty much just surface water now.If I buy a submersible could I drop it in say a 1000 gal tank and push water into my house ?that way if the well has only surface water and I do have a 120 foot well dug and hit nothing I could then go ahead and purchase a 1000 gal tank and a 300 gal tank and just hual water to it until I could afford other options.Also I was wondering if I dig to 120 feet and hit nothing when I come up with more funds can I just have it dug deeper and maybe come up with water later?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That is why I recommended buying a ¾ HP pump. I figured you could use it no matter where you get the water.

You can’t just leave a 120’ hole open until you get ready to try deeper. It needs to be plugged to keep out critters and kids. Even if you don’t plug the hole, it will probably cave in if you leave it open and uncased.

I would prefer a suction bailer as Craig said. That would clean out the leaves and crap and tell you if the well is making any water. If the suction bailing goes pretty good, you could be confident putting a pump in the well. If the bailing isn’t good, no need to buy a pump.

Johnny Turner

Reaction score
I`m on a pretty tight budget is the problem and if I went the bailer bucket way then I would be losing a few hundred bucks but if I go the submersible way then I would at least have that to use if the well is bad now.I have a hand bailer bucket that I been lowering down in it now but its slow and tiring to retrieve it by hand.But I been thinking of getting a forward and reverse motor and seeing if I can`t use that to lower and retrieve it faster . Also I been thinking of just using the whole 4,000 if need be and having a 240 foot well dug in hopes that I would hit water .

Johnny Turner

Reaction score
Ok so a guy came a looked at my location and he said I would be hard pressed to hit water with a well because I`m on the foot of the hill .He also didn`t have anything good to say about limestone .So I decided to go check the spring behind my house and it is running very good right now .It runs until the dryer months probably until june and don't start back until sometime in the fall but I made a video of it right now to show you guys.

[video=youtube_share;jpX8tGYclkI]http://youtu.be/jpX8tGYclkI[/video]

Now that stream of water coming out is around 4 inches wide.I would guess at least 10 gal a min coming out there .The problem is this spring isn`t on my land it is about 70 feet off my land .Could I get a easement and get rights to get this water ?Do easments work for springs as well ?This would provide us water until the dryer months when I would have to hual water to the tank.Also if I got rights what would be a good way to collect this water and get it the 200 feet I would need to a storage tank.

Johnny Turner

Reaction score
Here is a couple move videos I took of it.
[video=youtube_share;g8nUU21sz30]http://youtu.be/g8nUU21sz30[/video]

[video=youtube_share;jxJzRIFwLhM]http://youtu.be/jxJzRIFwLhM[/video]

If you look at that last video it`s running out into this hole that I`m stepping down into that is about 4 foot by 5 foot or so and is around 4 foot deep .If I got rights to that water how would be a good way to collect that and send it over the hill to some tanks ?

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
He doubted the location because it is at the bottom of a hill.

Was that a driller or some water well witch?

Last edited:

Johnny Turner

Reaction score
He doubted the location because it is at the bottom of a hill.

Was that a driller or some water well witch?

That was the guy that drills wells .He basically said that we wasn`t in the low laying area and we was on the foot of the hill and it would be difficult to hit water .I would think you could just drill below this spring on my property and hit water .

Johnny Turner

Reaction score
Ok I don`t think I will have to much trouble just tapping into this spring and gravity feeding it over the hill to a storage tank .After doing this what would be the best setup to get water from the tank into a pressure tank and then to my sinks shower bath ect ect ?

Johnny Turner

Reaction score
Everyone knows Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water.

If there is no water coming from the hill, what feeds the spring?

I have no ideal how he thought there was no water coming from the hill .As a matter of fact the spring is only about 70 foot above my property .and once it runs out of that hole it then goes back under ground.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks