Air coming from old well?

Users who are viewing this thread

WilliamWWhitworth

Reaction score
Why would there be air pushing up from an old inactive well on the property? The property we bought has had at least 5 wells drilled on it, one is active, one is capped, the other 3 are simply out of service (I know I need to get them plugged, just don't have that kind of cash flow at the moment).
One of the wells has air being pushed back up through the well head at times, sometimes enough to make an audible whistle.
Is this a problem that needs to be corrected quickly?

The plumbing is no longer tied into the new system, so it isn't water flow going in from the current plumbing.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Is this well in Lubbock? That is also where I am and have never heard of a blowing well in this area. I do know of one in the San Angelo area that is always either blowing or sucking air. Always wondered if it had to do with tides. But never in Lubbock. Any of the well guys around here had a look at it?

WilliamWWhitworth

Reaction score
Correct. It’s just north of Lubbock. Haven’t had anyone look at it yet though. Hasn’t seemed to cause any problems with our supply.

Reach4

Reaction score
Consider checking if the flow is bidirectional. If sometimes it blows and sometimes it sucks, that means something different.

I would consider putting a lightweight big plastic bag taped/tied over the casing. See if it stays inflated, or if it sometimes deflates.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks